Saturday, June 12, 2010

NCAA Coaches not amused with new rules proposals.

The division one hockey coaches are not amused with the new rules proposals and college hockey fans are not amused as well. My advice to the NCAA Rules Committee, please keep your dirty hands off our game and leave it alone. The only rule that makes sense was the one the NCAA Rules Committee didn't recommending the use of half shields and Paul Kelly of College Hockey INC is on record as being for this. College Hockey News has a good story that is worth reading as well. [Many Coaches Left Irate Over One in Particular]
WCHA coaches voted 12-0 against it. Atlantic Hockey coaches voted 12-0 against it. And Central Collegiate Hockey Association coaches voted 11-0 against it.

“I think it’s just a crime,” Bemidji State coach Tom Serratore said. “I’ve been in college hockey for 18 years and I’ve never seen anything like this in my life. It was almost unanimous for the entire coaching body. How can the committee overturn the entire coaching body? I think it’s sad, the lack of respect that the committee had for the coaching body.

“We didn’t spend any time even talking about it because it was so radical. We just voted 12-0 and moved on.”

Both Serratore and UND coach Dave Hakstol raised several concerns.

One is the safety issue. Since players are not allowed to change after an icing call, a player could be stuck on the ice for two or three minutes straight on a penalty kill.

Another concern is that the icing rule hasn’t been tried on an experimental basis to determine if it works. No North American hockey league uses it.

“It’s quite a shock,” Hakstol said. “I haven’t said much, but I’m going to speak my mind on this. I’m upset about us not having a say in it as a Division I coaching body. On a national basis, we were very strongly against it, if not unanimously against it. [Grand Forks Herald]
BallHype: hype it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment