Tuesday, February 05, 2008

This weeks series breakdowns (Sioux 7)

After last weekends action here are the current WCHA standings:

****Team***********Games*win-loss-tie
1 Colorado College****20**15-4-1---31pts
2 North Dakota********22**14-7-1---29pts
3 Denver************18**12-6-0---24pts
4 Wisconsin**********20**8-9-3----19pts
4 Minnesota-Duluth****20**7-8-5----19pts
6 Minnesota State*****20**7-9-4----18pts
7 Minnesota*********20**6-10-4---16pts
8 Michigan Tech*******18**6-9-3----15pts
9 St. Cloud State******18**6-10-2---14pts
10 Alaska-Anchorage***20**3-12-5---11pts

As you can see there is a log jam in the middle of the pack with only 5-points separating 4th place from 9th place. Most teams are down to their last 4 regular season series (28-league games), so there are not that many points left out there on the table.

It looks as if CC and UND will be at home for the first round of the playoffs, and DU, if they can get a few wins in there last couple of series. It looks like the only team that will be on the road for the first round in UAA, they cannot leapfrog all those teams, if they run the schedule they will max out at 19pts, which both 4th place teams have currently.

The two BIG match-ups this week are, UM @ DU, and UW @ MTU.

Both UM and DU are on the slippery slope. DU's last conference win (which in questionable) was Jan 11 against UW, before that it was UAA on Dec 15. UM's last conference win was Jan 19 against UMD, before that it was UND on Dec 8. I, however, I'm sticking with my crystal ball, that has been saying teams that get beat by UND this year (2008 only) have done really well the next weekend series. So with that I'm saying that the Gophers will beat the Pioneers this weekend and tie them, UM 3-pts.

Wisconsin and Michigan Tech...hmmm...

WU has a 2-5-3 record on the road overall, not to impressive as a road team, and MTU has a home record of 5-5-1, okay but not the greatest. Earlier this season these two teams split a pair of games in Madison. But there is more riding on this series, MTU needs to get points to move up the standings, and UW wants to hold onto a top 5 spot. I think MTU with two game in hand will want it more, so here's to the Huskies this week, sweeping the Badgers.

CC is hosting SCSU this weekend.

Earlier this season, these two split in St. Cloud. MTU found the chinks in CC armor and I say these Huskies will find the holes too. CC is perfect at home this season, but like all streaks, they come to an end, just ask the New England Patriots. It will be a split at the springs this weekend. I can hear all the doggies howling already, listen.....goooooooooal.

Last but not least is UAA traveling to MSU-M for a pair of tilts this weekend.

The purple pasture people have been on a stampede since getting swept by UND 3-weeks ago, the Mavs have won 4 games in a row, scoring 4.5 goals/game, and only allowing a mere 2.25 goals/game. Alaska finally may have started to right their ship by getting 3 points last weekend. Unfortunately they are running into the red hot purple bovine barn, I see the wolves getting trampled this weekend, but limp home with one point, while the Mavs get 3-pts.

Minnesota-Duluth and North Dakota are on bye weeks, and will be back in action next weekend.

11 comments:

  1. I think MSU-M is going to run the SeaWolves out of the building, just a hunch. It will be 4 points. How about a nother beer on that one?

    I feel some Mojo coming out of houghton for MTU... MeG and Boosh are going to more than happy with me. :)

    SCSU, is going to win because I predicted a C.C. sweep. Heather is probably happy that I have stopped picking the Huskies to win.

    I could give a flying f' about minnesota, they are probably still wondering if Wheeler hurt a finger nail in the last series during the hand shake. Don Lucia is probably trying to get the Yotes to please sign him in the off season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Goon! Don't even say they're going to win! :) CC Sweep is all I want to see on this blog!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you see my picks, I am picking the Mav's this week. ;)

    Someone said that now the Mavs were picked as the CHN team of the week they are going to be jinxed. I don't see UAA beating them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goon, do you just like buying me beer, and watching me get drunk at the games :)

    The bet is your team, MSU-M, gets four points this weekend. And all I need is for UAA to get one point.

    I'll take that challenge, since I already have 2 beers in the bank :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, Sioux7 I will take the Mav's you can have the seawolves and all they need is a point this weekend for one 12 pack of beer. If I win we are back to zero how about that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Win-Twins,
    C.C. is unbeaten at home this year so there is a good chance the Huskies could go in there and lay some wood to the Huskies and get the win. I do have a C.C. sweep prediction so we are looking for some reverse psy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AAAHHHH!!! You're going to give me a heart attack Goon!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. yeah I have that affect, I am waiting for LGM's to come through my screen and FLICK me in the head. :) Mav's sweeeeeeepppp.

    I don't have the power to affect hockey series, ask Sioux7.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So, you want to go for a 12 pack. Okay, but if I win you have to help me drink all that beer at your house while watching hockey.

    ReplyDelete