Wednesday, February 06, 2008

What kind of game do they think hockey is?


Check out this comment I found over on CHN

UND are a bunch of thugs this season led by Hastol, Finley, Genoway and others. They have repeatedly behaved as thugs in mutliple games this season. Did you see what UND did in the first minute of the game vs St. Cloud this year. Duncan should have been thrown out of that game as well. Then they go ahead and recruit more thugs like Hextall and others. Too bad...they used to be a great program to watch. Hastol should be out.______, Waterloo, Iowa


This one is just too good to not comment on. This is hockey which is a contact sport and it is not for the faint of heart. I would use the analogy that it is better to be the hammer than the nail and the Fighting Sioux for most part this season have been the Hammer. I am beginning to think UND should wear this new found reputation as a badge of honor, one thing people can’t accuse them of being is soft hockey team.

Let’s rewind to last spring; didn't the Duck win the Stanley Cup by basically beating their opposition into submission? That style of play works for me and many other Sioux fans. The Ducks won the Stanley Cup by being one of the most physical, penalized team in hockey. The Fighting Sioux are beginning to play the same way.

In looking at this ridiculous comment; where do I start? My first response is; you’ve got to be kidding me? You’re not serious right? Where do they dig up these people? What rock did he crawl out from under? My next question would be; what type of players does this fan and others in the league want UND to Recruit? As a rule the Fighting Sioux does not recruit a bunch of pretty boys that are afraid to hit because it might crease their jerseys. Wait till the opposition sees Ben Blood next season, I am sure we will hear a bunch of crying about him as well, he might make Finley look like a choir boy. Also, I am pretty sure that Joe Finley was recruited by the Gophers and other WCHA teams. These are the same fans that say that Finley is a hack/goon and then try to tell you that Stu Bickel is not. I like many Sioux fans would take Finley over Stu Bickel any day. Also, players like Brett Hextall keep opposition players honest and their head on a swivel. I think Hextall will be a nice replacement for Rylan Kaip. I can hear the crying now.

Fire Hakstol! Yep; UND should immediately fire Dave Hakstol as coach of the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux. It is obvious that Hakstol has no idea what he is doing. Everyone knows that Dave Hakstol can’t coach a lick. How many trips to the Frozen Four has Dave Hakstol led? I believe the Fighting Sioux are up to (3) three. Of course all three were an utter fluke. I would be willing to be that Hakstol’s firing is not going to happen. Let’s look at the Fighting Sioux a little closer: UND 17-8-2 good for 2nd place in the WCHA with a conference record of 14-7-2, 5th in the PWR rankings.

8 comments:

  1. For a team that prides itself on being so hard-nosed, I have never seen a bigger bunch of whiners. OOOOH. They gave us a penalty! Stu Bickel is a hack! Please.

    I had more respect for Dave Hakstol BEFORE he gave his "apology". I have listened to UND whine about Don Adam for years.

    Adam is not one for a quick whistle. He sees the infraction and lets the team "answer", and then tosses both, as it should be.

    Get yourself a copy of "The Code".

    A blindside shot in the back after the game is over is cheap, no matter *WHAT* went on during the game. Stand up for sure, but do it straight up, none of this hit-and-run crap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so want to get involved in this, its so hard not to.

    What the Sioux bring to the games they play in is not hockey. Hard hits, rough play, yes, that's hockey and that's the way it should be. Cheap hits, checking from behind, piddly ass shit after the whistle and the game, fights in the handshake line, that's not hockey. I'm not absolving other teams, it happens everywhere, but I can't imagine that even from the confines for Grand Forks, North Dakota, you can't see that it happens a ton more when the Sioux are involved. Maybe 9/10 of the WCHA is just insane and jealous, but I think there's a common denominator.

    The whole firing Hakstol thing is dumb. People who call for a coach's head discredit themselves immediately. It would be nice to see them man discipline his guys, though. Play the opposition hard, keep their heads up, but that doesn't mean turn your games into a farce. No one is going to complain about good, hard hits with a hockey-related objective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boosh, it might be that Carey Eades was one of the most intense people to ever play for UND and he is now sitting behind the bench. Just saying.

    I don't see it changes nor do we want it to change. I would classify MTU as being a hard nosed team, the Gophers are not.

    Oh, by the way I saw you 21st birthday pictures, NICE...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sick of people calling UND fans whiners??? Where in the hell do you see us fans whine? the only whining i ever hear is from fans of other teams becuase they don't like the way UND plays. "bloggers"-LGM,Boosh,Mean,etc.. have this vendetta against the Sioux because of chippy, after the whistle stuff and it's all UND's fault??? Oh really?? That's such a bunch of b.s. It's college hockey and I've been watching it for 20+ years. There's nothing different about scrums, etc...EVERY team does it. Actually, your outward hatred is envy and jealousy imo. i think all you "whiners" should go lay by your dish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Archie, Jeff Gordon used to say if it doesn't make you whine it aint mine. I think that is try about UND.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do believe you're whining about me right now Archie ;)

    And no, its not envy. I'd rather be sucky and Michigan Tech-like than have to put up with the shit the Sioux produce any day. I don't think that 9/10 of the WCHA is just out to get the poor defenseless Sioux and are terribly jealous.

    And Carey Eades, whatever should I say about him. He could have made a better first impression in our only meeting :(

    And yes, my birthday was fun

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, boosh. yes, the poor defenseless Sioux.....wha wha wha...

    Michigan Tech was a powerhouse in the 50's so they haven't always been a bottom feeder.

    ReplyDelete