Tuesday, February 05, 2008

This weeks picks: Misc Ramblings/Rants

FRIDAY:
Wisconsin at Michigan Tech
Alaska-Anchorage at Minnesota State
St. Cloud State at Colorado College
Minnesota at Denver

SATURDAY:
Wisconsin at Michigan Tech
Alaska-Anchorage at Minnesota State
St. Cloud State at Colorado College
Minnesota at Denver

Last week 5-5
For the Season 90-64

This week's analysis

This week MTU Huskies and Wisconsin Badgers will split. I just don’t see either team getting very far ahead of the other team. Both teams are very defensive minded.
Thanks to MTU getting only 1 point last weekend I now owe Sioux_7 two beers, it was another weekend where I predicted a sweep and the prediction ended up being very wrong. Kind a like Paula Weston’s rants every week. Ha, I suppose I can always jinx someone else’s team this weekend.

Minnesota will not beat DU this weekend as the Gophers go 0-4 on the season against the DU Pioneers, mark it down that you heard it here first. :) I predict during the post series hand shake a purse fight will break out between Don Lucia and George Gwozdecky.

C.C. is hot right now after running EZAC patsy Clarkson out of the building; I bet we don't see Clarkson as a first round bid this season. I predict that C.C. sweeps this weekend, no disrespect to the Huskies who are my second favorite team in the WCHA, but this is the year of the Tiger. I am sure Win-Twins will be happy with my prediction. I am sure that Heather is still smarting from the Santana trade as well as I am. I don't think the Twins got enough for Santana.

MSU-M and UAA, no way the Seawolves get any points this weekend in Mankato, the Mavericks are smoking hot right now. :)

Here is UND Fighting Sioux Hater Kevin McFeely aka McFooley's latest rant.


Here is the part I think is comical:

The University of North Dakota has exerted copious amounts of energy issuing written apologies for its hockey team in the past year. So much so that “Fight On Sioux,” the school’s fight song, was in danger of being replaced by the twangy Brenda Lee classic, “I’m Sorry.”

Robbie Bina, T.J. Oshie and Jonathan Toews apologized via press release for their roles in last February’s Judy’s Tavern affair. Joe Finley – all 6-foot-7 and 245 pounds of him – had to write an apology after hacking Wisconsin mascot Bucky Badger across the shins with a stick last November. And just this weekend, Sioux coach Dave Hakstol circulated a written apology after being caught on television flipping the middle digit of his right hand at official Don Adams during UND’s heated contest at Minnesota on Saturday.

Contrary to popular legend, the toughest job at UND is not athletic director. It is media relations director. Typing all that contrition can leave a guy with a nasty case of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Hakstol’s YouTube moment elicited the expected frightening responses from cyberspace. A popular Sioux fan Web site and a chat room set up on The Forum’s site had numerous responses trumpeting two testosterone-fueled defenses: 1) Adams deserved to be the recipient of the obscene gesture and 2) this was a hockey game, not some supposedly less macho activity like figure skating or golf, so a one-fingered salute was a proper way for Hakstol to vent his frustration.

UND’s administration clearly did not prescribe to this juvenile way of thinking. Hakstol was suspended for two games Monday by co-acting athletic directors Betty Ralston and Steve Brekke. Hakstol will miss UND’s series against Denver Feb. 15-16 in Grand Forks.

Gee I wonder which fan web site Mike McFooley is refering to? It can't be the ever popular siouxsports.com. As we know from last season Mike McFooley has been know to lurk from time to time on that fan webpage. You would think a big city sports writer like Mike McFooley would look to more credible site for information, than a fan web page for your information (of course I say this tongue in cheek). Why don't you stick to covering your own teams down in Fargo, ND? I am sure that Mid Major Summit league that NDSU plays in is way more exciting than the little old WCHA. I am sure if I dig hard enough I will find Bison athletes in the bars and the police blotter as well.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for choosing CC to sweep - it's the best chance the Huskies have of breaking out of this "slump" they're in.

    The Santana thing is depressing beyond belief. I can't even think about hockey right now. UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, betting beers from the Goon, ah, my favorite kind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goddamit Goon!! I told you to pick UAA to sweep. If your picks jinxed my boys I'm coming to GF to kick your butt!!

    Also, for the love of god take that stupid Stafford post off of your blog. It's annoying as hell to open your blog only to have the screen go to the middle!!

    *hugs and kisses* I'm not as crabby as I sound:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like UAA, I live the Mav's my 3rd Favorite team :)

    Not as as crabby, I always get called crabby by mrs goon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donn aka Sioux7, the beer shall be paid back next friday if I can get the dayoff from work, I am scheduled to work but there are two of us. You driving?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't like to think of it as driving, its more like keeping it between the snow banks :)

    I'm going to have to record this Friday's UM v DU game, since I have a prior engagement, ie, party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sioux7 are you saying your not going to the game on Friday the 15th because I NOW have it off.

    ReplyDelete