Friday, October 15, 2010

Weekend Match-Ups (by Sioux 7)



Last week I was in Alaska to watch the Sioux play, and take in some tourist sights. Thus I have been busy at work this week, and I’m just now getting to put together a little article for this weekend’s games. PICTURE - It's hard looking into sun, that is Mt. McKinley in the background, the tallest peak in North America at 20,320 feet.


A quick look back, to last year’s final standings


FINAL 2009-2010 WCHA STANGINGS


TEAM………………......W-L-T….PTS
1 Denver--------------------19-5-4….42
2 Wisconsin----------------17-8-3….37
3 St. Cloud State---------15-9-4….34
4 North Dakota-----------15-10-3…33
5 Minnesota-Duluth----16-11-1…33
6 Colorado College-----12-13-3…27
7 Minnesota---------------12-14-2…26
8 Minnesota State---------9-17-2…20
9 Alaska-Anchorage-----9-17-2…20
10 Michigan Tech---------4-24-0….8


WCHA games

Minnesota State @ Michigan Tech
This is the first league games of the season, both teams will want to get off to a good start and get some points this weekend. I’m thinking both these teams need to get points early and often if they want to stay out of the league basement this year. I’m going to call this opening series a SPLIT.


#2 North Dakota @ Bemidji State
I got to watch the Sioux play last weekend at Sullivan arena. It was a nice arena, they even serve beer there too. UND looked good in half of Friday’s game (vs UAA) and all of Saturday’s game (vs UAF). This is the home opener in the new arena for the Beavers, so no doubt they will be fired up. I think UND will be ready for the challenge this weekend. The Beavers are going to take a few lumps this year with a grinding conference schedule. I’m going with the #2 team in the country, SIOUX SWEEP.


#17 Nebraska-Omaha @ #13 Minnesota
Dean Blais is back coacing in the WCHA, and he starts out versus his alma mater, the Gophers. Lets face it, the UM has been a disappointment to their fans the last three years. I don’t know if things in Minneapolis are going to change this year…With UNO being a new team in the league, I’m going to give them a chance this weekend, let’s call it the Blais-factor. SPLIT FINAL 2009-2010 WCHA STANGINGS


NON-CONFERENCE

#1 Boston College @ #6 Denver
Even though I really dislike both the schools, it would be a good series to watch. I know it is early in the season, but I have to do what is best for the WCHA and pick the Pioneers to win one. I would say sweep, but BC has too much talent.


#4 Miami @ #11 St. Cloud
This should be another good match up to watch this weekend. The Huskies are one of favorites to finish in the top 3 in the WCHA this year. I win or sweep of the RedHawks would go a long way, to show that they are a top tier team to take seriously. SPLIT.


Providence @ #7 Minnesota-Duluth
The Friars from Providence invade Duluth for a pair of games. I don’t know much about Providence, they are the only other team jersey that I would buy (other than the Sioux) I really like that skating Friar logo, sweet. The only way I see the Friars getting a win this weekend is if the Bulldogs are really distracted by their opponents cool sweaters; I’m going to say the Bulldogs SWEEP.


Alabama-Huntsville @ #13 Wisconsin (Friday & Sunday)
The Chargers will have a tough task taking on the Badgers in Madison. There is also a little football game in Madison this weekend too, they host Ohio State. So perhaps the hockey team might be a little distracted by that. But, I don’t think that distraction will be enough for Bucky to drop a game. BADGERS SWEEP.



Alaska Gold Rush Tournament

#18 Colorado College vs Alaska-Anchorage(fri), vs #14 Alaska (sat)
The Tigers versus the Seawolves is a non-conference game, just like last Friday when the Sioux and UAA tangled. UAA didn’t look too bad last weekend, just like in years past if you look past them, they will beat you. And I’m going to say CC is looking past them to the Nanooks on Saturday. UAA wins. I think the Tigers will rebound on Saturday and take out the Nanooks, CC wins.


Union vs Alaska-Anchorage
Seawolves win, they actually win a tournament, and at home too.