Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Redwing77's Frozen Four Breakdown and Prediction (HA!)

Ok, I posted something similar on Siouxsports.com, but I'm going to reiterate it here. I'm going to break down the four remaining teams and give my predictions for each.

University of Wisconsin Badgers

This team is the best overall team coming into Detroit. They have solid defense and an offense that can skate with the best of them. They're lead by Hobey Hat Trick-er Blake Geoffrion. They also have a defensive genius in the coaching ranks in Mike Eaves. Yes, I say genius despite the fact that for years his style of hockey was "put em to sleep then score... THEY'LL NEVER KNOW WHAT HIT'EM!" They face RIT (a team I'll break down next) and will skate easier than the other predicted winner into the National Championship game.

Rochester Institute of Technology Tigers

Well, as Brad Schlossman beat me to it, I'll credit him with it. RIT is DEFINITELY this year's Bemidji State University. They've had a tough road and brought the show to Detroit. I must say that I'm impressed with them. They are the most dangerous team in the Frozen Four. WHY? Not because they've got firepower up front. No, their D and goaltending isn't anywhere near that of Miami or UW's. Because THEY HAVE NO EXPECTATIONS ON THEM. They can go out on the ice and just play and have fun. Of course they're going to try to win. A brainless retard would argue otherwise. But they have not weight of tradition in DI excellence like BC and UW. They have no weight of "this year for sure" like Miami. They've proved that they can compete. They proved they're relevant for a weaker conference team. I thought this would be Air Force, but that's not turned out. They can go out against Wisconsin and get destroyed 115-0 and it won't matter. They've done nearly as much as anyone dreamed. If they win it all...wow.... watch for a lot of crowing from the AHA fanbase of roughly....100 people East of Colorado Springs.

Miami University of Ohio

They come into Detroit having the best goaltender in the Frozen Four...and the second best goaltender in the Frozen Four. They are just as cohesive a team as Wisconsin and have a pretty darn good defense to match. The problem is, they give up a TON of quality scoring chances. This is the team that let a slumping UND team score 5 on them. Michigan had chance after chance after chance after chance in their regional final. Knapp bailed them out once... I don't think he can bail them out a second time. That being said, this is 1 or 1a in terms of the strength of the Frozen Four field as a whole (Wisconsin the other 1). Oh, did I mention that they're coached by the best coach in the CCHA? Or maybe one of the top 5 coaches in DI hockey in Enrico Blasi? OH! And let's not forget they're on a mission. This is a driven team. VERY dangerous.

Boston College

They get the award for "Can you Believe it, mom? I'm here!" as they played what was probably the worst regional final in the last 10 years against YALE and STILL won. Muse looked like an incredible sieve. I still can't believe BC is a 1 seed. Discounting the scores, they had the easiest path thanks to UND's loss, to the Frozen Four. They're main advantage? The media. Their biggest disadvantage? If the media could've chosen, their matchup with Miami would have been for the NC.

The predictions

If I understand it right, the semis feature RIT vs. UW and BC vs. Miami.

I can't see RIT winning. I think the RIT vs UW game will be a better game overall. UW wins 4-2.

I can't see BC sticking around for more than 30 minutes. Miami wins 6-2.

The final then puts Miami vs. UW. A lot of Red and White on the ice. I actually think this would be a great matchup. Defense is great. Offense pretty darn good too. However, I have to say Miami would be favored in net. This will be a game of conversion on mistakes and special teams.

UW ekes it out 3-2.

There ya go folks.

BallHype: hype it up!

7 comments:

  1. Goon, I need you help. I am in a heated debate with a Gopher fan about the Gopher defeat to Holy Cross in 2006. My recollection is that the Gophers were the number one overall seed and Holy Cross was the #16 (first time that happened). The gopher fan is saying that Wisconsin was the #1 seed and BSU was #16. Can you point me in the direction to where I can settle the debate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please email your answer if you can

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Cross was a 15 over a 2. BSU vs. Wisconsin was the 1 vs. 16 matchup in 2006:

    http://proicehockey.about.com/od/collegejuniorresources/a/06_frozen_four.htm

    Last year, BSU remains the only 16 seed to ever win a regional semifinal (RIT this year was a 15 over a 2 also).

    2009:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NCAA_Division_I_Men's_Ice_Hockey_Tournament

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris the post that John put on NCAA history is correct, Minnesota was the second number one seed over all and Holy Cross was a 15 seed.

    If you having a argument with a Gophs fan just tell him 7>5 and that ussually shuts them up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good breakdown though I do hope "this is the year" for Miami.

    As an aside, "Miami University of Ohio" is not an official designation for Miami University. If you need to use Ohio to differentiate us from Miami of Florida, use Miami (OH) or Miami (Ohio). However, when talking hockey, there's really no need.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wisconsin edged out Minnesota that season as the #1 overall seed in the tournament because they beat Goldy in the WCHA Final Five consolation game 4-0.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry Swaindog. I wanted to put the full name there.

    And technically, there is no such school as Miami University of Florida. They're the University of Miami. :)

    And they suck. But I digress.

    Thanks for the approval. :)

    ReplyDelete