Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Ness and Schroeder not leaving UMN.

The internet has been abuzz today with a few rumors about Aaron Ness and Jordan Schroeder leaving the Gophers, these rumors have since been debunked. The rumors first started appearing on Gopher Puck Live, Siouxsports and then I also saw it over on rubechat.kfan.com. This Rumor picked up so much steam that the University had to issue a statement that Jordan Schroeder was committed to staying in school and will not be leaving. As a bystander and fan of college hockey there does seems to be a lot of drama surrounding the UMN hockey program and you have to wonder what the heck is going on down there?

On the Ness rumor, I found that one to be pretty entertaining but very improbable. I mean seriously; why Ness would leave UMN and transfer to UND? It wouldn’t make a lot of sense, first Ness would have to sit out a whole year then transfer to UND. In the interim Ness would have to probably play junior hockey in the USHL. Also, I don’t think there is any room for him at UND because the Sioux have recruited some great defensive players.
The University of Minnesota, in a highly unusual move, issued a news release denying rumors that sophomore center Jordan Schroeder is leaving. Here is the release sent at 6:27 p.m.

If I was a conspiracy buff, I might suspect that somone was trying to sabotage the U's recruiting efforts with this gossip.

Here is the U of M statement:

With rumors surrounding the future of Jordan Schroeder, the Gophers’ sophomore forward has stated he has no intention to leave the University of Minnesota men’s hockey program.

“I am fully committed to this team and university,” said Schroeder, who serves an assistant captain this season for the Gophers. “I have no intention of leaving college early to play pro hockey.”

“It is unfortunate that these rumors continue to come out and I have no idea where they begin. I think it’s important for me to publicly state that I am going nowhere. I am dedicated to this team and plan to help us reach our goals for the remainder of this season and future years.”

Schroeder was a first-round draft choice last summer by the Vancouver Canucks and has been the center of several internet rumors over recent months regarding his future in college and professional hockey.

NESS BUZZ

Then there was the Aaron Ness rumor. I got several e-mails on it. Ness is looking into transferring to North Dakota, where his father went to school.

I had talked to Ness, a sophomore defenseman, for a few minutes earlier in the day. Obviously, I didn't ask him if he was thinking of leaving. I had not heard the rumor yet. He seemed his normal self.

To check out the rumor, I called his father Jay in Roseau.

"He loves it there," Jay Ness said, referring to the U of M. "Obviously he wants to win, but it's early in the season."

No hint of family discontent with the U program.

But the hockey situation at the U has been a little chaotic lately. First defenseman Nick Leddy suffers a broken jaw. Then four days later, forward Jay Barriball suffers a season ending knee injury and has surgery last Friday.

And, Monday, sophomore defenseman Sam Lofquist tells coach Don Lucia he is leaving the team.
[Star and Tribune]




BallHype: hype it up!

2 comments:

  1. Goon, I have no idea what is going on down in the Twin Cities, but I can tell you that program is a mess. I still think Schroeder leaves by the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete