Monday, February 02, 2009

Don Cherry is not a fan of Clutterbuck.


For the most part I love Don Cherry, he is kind of the Rush Limbaugh of the NHL. I am not sure that I agree with Cherry in this instance. The big story to come out of Saturday night was that Don Cherry isn't a fan of Wild player Cal Clutterbuck (Cherry on Cal 4:00 in) because he fights with his visor on. You will see in the fight video that Clutterbuck asks Yandel to remove his helmet off but Keith Yandle refuses. Just for the record Wild tough guy Derek Boogaard said he doesn't take his helmet off during a fight. In defense of Cherry's argument there is supposed to be a two minute penalty for fighting with a shield on.

Here is the story from Mike Russo.
"If you look at the incidents, first time I asked [Yandle] to take our helmets off, and he said, 'No,'" said Clutterbuck, his assertion backed by replays. "I'm not going to be the only guy to fight and take my helmet off. The second time against White, he jumped me from behind. So what does he want from me? I mean, what do you want me to do? Really."

Clutterbuck noted that, on Friday, he fought Edmonton's Steve Staios. "He had a visor on, too. We both did. [Cherry] didn't show that. I don't know why. ... It upsets you. He's a part of the Canadian media. He's based out of Toronto and he's in Leafs Nation, so with the whole thing with White, he's biased. I think what he does for the game in Canada, he's an icon, but I'm going to have to disagree with him on what he says."

1 comment:

  1. Cal was cheap when he played the Blues too! hahahahahaah


    I'm siding with Cherry on this one, Backes has a visor, and he takes his helmet off when protecting himself or his teammates.. (he's the only player on the team to get into a fight that wears a visor on the blues)

    other fighters on blues this year that don't wear visors:
    David Koci (picked up then waived)
    DJ King (injured out for season)
    Y Statsny (injured out for season)
    Cam Janssen
    Dan Hinote
    BJ Crombeen
    Keith Tkachuck
    Carlo Colaicovo
    Tyson Strachan
    Alex Steen (i think)
    Jay McClemment
    Roman Polak


    (i might've missed someone, pretty impressive list though lol, too bad half their team is injured, otherwise they'd be locked into the playoffs right now)

    ReplyDelete