Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Michigan State National Champs



Are they the best team?

First off Goon's World would like to congratulate the Michigan State Spartans for winning the NCAA title. Also I would like to congratulate the Spartans for keeping the National title in the west, and not allowing a Eastern team to win the National Title. State was the last team standing when it counted the most. The Spartans won the title fair and square and the Michigan State Spartans did what they had to do to hang a banner next fall.

I though I would chime in on this subject. I have seen a few things written this week that I think are funny but are also down right silly. Check out this rant from USCHO.COM

Happy Wrote on USCHO:I think you are very wrong. MSU got the easiest draw, and they won. The discussions happen because other teams had a much harder draw, and got eliminated. MSU completely avoided having to play any of the teams from the region of death, which happened to included all the west's skating first team all-Americans, and the Hobey winner. hey, I won $100 betting on the FF, and I would have bet much more that if MSU and Michigan would have traded places in the west, MSU would not have got out of Denver either. UND knew how to beat MN, but MN had already shown they knew how to beat MSU. I consider them the last man standing, not the best team.


To win the title you have to beat the best. This years Frozen Four was stacked. It's obvious that UND, B.C. and Maine were good teams or they wouldn't have been in St Louis. Michigan State won regional which some have argued was a patsy and an easy draw, that folks is just sour grapes. State won their regional and qualified for the frozen four. Michigan State beat a veteran Maine team fair and square and then beat offensive Juggernaut Boston College to get the title.

I wonder if that poster is saying that Maine and B.C. are a couple of patsies? Lets break this down further; Maine didn't lose to a WCHA team all season as the Black Bears went 4-0 against one of the toughest leagues in college hockey. That's no small feat in my opinion. B.C. won their regional and their league title and were ridding a 13 game unbeaten streak when they played State, so I can't say that they are a bunch of hacks either. I know Happy writes some funny and silly stuff and I like most enjoy his work but his logic is flawed. Let's also not be confused Happy is is a partisan Gopher fan. So it is what it is. Lets give credit where credit is due.

No comments:

Post a Comment