Saturday, December 23, 2023

Sometimes I Have to Pinch Myself; My Sister’s Kid Plays in the NHL (Bobby Brink)


It's hard not to be a fanboy when my little sister's kid plays in the National Hockey League. Sometimes, I have to pinch myself and wonder if this is happening. It is. I wouldn't classify myself as a Flyers fan, but I've watched most of their games. 


The Flyers have a good young team, and they're starting to figure it out. The Flyers front office has drafted well and is developing a good team. This team is different from your father's favorite Broadstreet Bullies hockey team. They spend more time scoring goals than beating people up. 


How did we get here? Bobby Brink was the second-round pick (No. 34) of the Philadelphia Flyers in the 2019 NHL Draft. 


During the 2021-22 season, Brink was the NCAA's leading points scorer with (14g-43a-57pts); he was also a plus 27. He wasn't the strongest in the faceoff dot going 2 for 6 or 33%. However, that wasn't his role. The Pioneers would win their 9th NCAA title, and Brink would sign with the Flyers after the championship game. Brink would finish his collegiate career with (27g-65a--92pts)in 84 games.  


Following his final collegiate season, Brink would play the Flyers last 10 games, recording four assists. In the offseason, Brink would have offseason hip surgery and miss the first half of the season. He'd play the entire 2022-23 season with the Lehigh Valley Phantoms of the American Hockey League. In 41 games with the Phantoms, he scored (12g-16-28pts) in 41 games. He was also a minus-seven. 


So far this season, Brink has scored (6g-10a--16pts), and he's also a plus-five. He scored the first goal of his NHL career on October 26, 2023. Brink wasn't satisfied with one; he scored his second goal of the game. 

Here's Brink's latest goal. Here's his assist from Thursday night. If I could give my nephew any advice, I would tell him to enjoy it as long as he can. You never know how long your playing career will last. Enjoy those charter flights and excellent hotels. Live the dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment