Saturday, June 13, 2015

UPDATE:Blackhawks Take Game 5 Thanks to Vermette and the Biggest Gaff in Bishop's Playing Career

by Redwing77

Ok, before I get to what is probably the #1 play in Sportcenter's NOT Top 10, the Chicago Blackhawks now can take the Cup at home with a win in Game 6.

They looked A LOT like the Lightning did earlier in the series, taking it to Tampa right out of the game (Tampa did the same to Chicago in pretty much every game this series up until then really).  Bishop was great for most of the game, stymieing Kane and Teravainnen twice (both breakaways).

In any case, I think Chicago dominated for the first and much of the third periods while Tampa controlled the second.  The officiating was much like typical NHL Playoffs: pretty non-existent.  They let a TON of stuff go, but it didn't really matter.

Tampa's sole goal came from former Red Wing Valterri Filpula on a great backdoor one-timer Crawford had zero chance on.

A slightly humorous note was when Hawk forward Desjardins was hit so hard he broke open the Hawk penalty box door.

In the end, there were LONG stretches of whistle-free hockey that was entertaining to say the least.

The Play

Ok, here's the deal:  the puck is sent off the boards past Terovainen through the neutral zone into the TB zone.  TB's Hedman and CHI's Sharp give chase.  For some extremely stupid reason, Bishop goes full moron and decides, despite Hedman obviously having the inside track on Sharp to the puck, that he is going to come out and play the puck out near the faceoff circle... WHOOOOPS!!!!!!!  Hedman and Bishop collide and Sharp scores the easiest goal of his career....the first in 14 games.

It was simply epic how stupid it was.  It wasn't the game-winner, but it was simply something you would never expect even a halfway competent goaltender to do.

In any case, when Goon is able, he'll help me embed the video I'm sure.

I apologize.

No need to apologize Redwing77, thanks for adding this post. I listened to the game on my XM radio and this the first time that I saw this goal. My first response is woof. Bishop cost his team the game with a low percentage play.

UPDATE:

Here's the video!



2 comments:

  1. I wonder if Sharp was screaming on the inside "Don't screw this up!". When he stickhandled at the crease, I actually gasped and cringed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Redwing77 I can do that when I get home later today.

    ReplyDelete