Friday, January 20, 2012

Blais not ready to retire just yet...

Sounds like Dean Blais’ comments that he made at the UND booster’s luncheon, when the UNO Mavericks were here back in December, migh have sent up a big red warning flag to the fans back in Omaha, NE.

Blais who spoke at the UND luncheon during the UND vs. UNO series, was asked how long he was going to be the coach of the UNO Mavericks. Blais said that he had three years left on his contract w/UNO.

Apparently, some where along the line,  some people interpreted Dean Blais as saying that he only going to coach three more seasons at UNO and then retire from coaching. This is according to the Omaha World Herald Newspaper.
Blais isn't going anywhere. Not anytime soon.

That's my take. Blais won't be pinned down to anything. But he disputed a report out of Grand Forks, N.D., last month that he had told a North Dakota booster crowd that he likely would retire when his UNO contract ends in three years.

"That was at the booster luncheon," Blais said. "The guy says, 'how many years do you have on your contract, and are you going to retire?' I said I have three years. And that's when they said I'll retire."

So you're not going to retire at the end of your contract?

"Hell, I might retire next year if we don't win," Blais said with a laugh.

So you could go past three years?

"Oh, yeah," Blais said. "I'm 60. I know one thing. I won't be 70 and coaching in this business. It's too tough. [Tom Shatel,WORLD-HERALD]
I wasn’t there at the luncheon, I read the comments in a newspaper article or a blog post, so this “could” be a written off as misunderstanding. I guess you never know with Dean Blais, he is kind of a Maverick and dances to the beat of a different drummer and sometimes there is a little thing called coach speak as well. So who knows?