Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Weekend Match-Ups (by Sioux 7)

Western Collegiate Hockey Association logoImage via WikipediaReady… Set… GO… And they’re off.

The good news, the regular season is starting, the bad news, there is only 2 seasons left of the WCHA as we know it. This is it. Everyone has a chance to start their run to capture the big, shiny, MacNaughton Cup.

I hope everyone had a good summer and is as anxious as I am for college hockey to get underway. I look forward to seeing how poorly my prognostication skills are again this season. Hopefully, you will enjoy reading my attempts to make some type of educated guess to who will win their games week in and week out.

Here is a little refresher…


WCHA ‘10-‘11 FINAL standings

TEAM……………..…....W-L-T...Pts

1. North Dakota…..……..21-6-1…43
2. Denver……..………...…17-8-3…37
3. Nebraska-Omaha.…..17-9-2…36
4. Minnesota-Duluth.....15-8-5…35
5. Minnesota……..….......13-10-5…31
6. Colorado College…...13-13-2…28
7. Wisconsin………....….12-13-3…27
8. Alaska-Anchorage…12-14-2…26
8. St. Cloud State….....11-13-4…26
10. Bemidji State…….….8-15-5…21
10. Minnesota State…….8-16-4…20
12. Michigan Tech………2-24-2…6


This season the WCHA starts out with 7 teams ranked in the USCHO poll:

#3 – North Dakota
#4 – Denver
#7 – Colorado College
#8 – Minnesota-Duluth
#14 – Nebraska-Omaha
#17 – Wisconsin
#19 – Minnesota


Non Conference Games

American International @ Michigan Tech

Last season the Huskies jumped out with a 6-game unbeaten streak, and then things fell apart. This year let’s hope they get off to another good start, but not have the falling apart thing happen again. HUSKIES WIN & TIE.


Bemidji St. @ #2 Miami (OH)
The Beavers start the season with a stiff test. Let’s hope the Beavers are up to the challenge. I’m sure the RedHawks won’t overlook BSU. With a rank of number two, you gotta be good, so I’m going with the home team. RedHawks Sweep.


Minnesota State @ #18 Rensselaer
This series could go down as an upset, the Mavericks have good goaltending and could easily take the series. However, this season is just starting, so they might be rusty, both teams. SPLIT.


#1 Notre Dame @ #8 Minnesota-Duluth
This should be the top series of the weekend, with two top ten teams playing a pair of games in South Bend. I’m wimping out in this one. SPLIT.


Sacred Heart @ #19 Minnesota
This is Sacred Heart playing the Gophers, not Holy Cross, so don’t get them confused now. However, if SH beats the Gophers, you will not get them confused. GOPHERS WIN & TIE


Northern Michigan @ #17 Wisconsin
The Badgers get a visit from an old WCHA foe, in the form of the Wildcats from Marquette. NMU plays some good hockey so don’t be surprised if they give the Badgers a run for their money. SPLIT


ICE BREAKER
Air Force @ #3 North Dakota
The Falcons have played top teams in season past, but have not beaten many of them. I’m going with the host team in this match-up, Sioux win.

#5 BC or MichSt. @ #3 North Dakota
I’m thinking the Eagles will beat the Spartans in their first game, and then move on to play the Sioux. I think everyone wants to see a game between two top five teams. Sioux win. And then in the other game of AFA v MSU, I’m going with the Falcons.


MAVERICK STAMPEDE
Mercyhurst @ #14 Nebraska-Omaha
Last year it seemed as if the Mavericks played to the level of their opponents. They would beat many of the top teams, but would lose to some of the lower teams. I’m sure UNO fans want another fast start this season. Mavericks win.

Colgate/RMU @ #14 Nebraska-Omaha
I’m not sure who to go with in the CU/RMU contest, I’m leaning the way of Colgate, can’t explain it, but I’m going with them to win over RMU. Then I’ll take them over UNO in their game. That leaves RMU v Mercyhurst, and I’m going with Mercyhurst in that contest.


KENDALL HOCKEY CLASSIC
St. Cloud St. @ Alaska
Last year I attended this tournament in Anchorage and had a good time. This year I will not be attending, since the Sioux are not there. I’m going to take the Huskies in this game over the soon to be WHCA Nanooks.

St. Could St @ Alaska-Anchorage
This is a non-conference game between these two in this game. The Seawolves finished strong last season and I think they will be a tough team this year too. Seawolves win.

Clarkson @ Alaska-Anchorage
I have to go with our WCHA friends in this match-up, especially when it is at the Sullivan Arena in Anchorage. Seawolves win.

Clarkson @ Alaska
I like the Nanooks sweaters, so hey, why not support them here. Nanooks win.


BYE WEEK
#7 Colorado College Tigers
#5 Denver Pioneers
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment