Sunday, August 28, 2011

Harvey Uken Letter to the editor

University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux athl...Image via WikipediaIf you haven't read Harvey Uken's letter to the editor, it's worth a look... Harvey makes some good points and before you attack him for his point of view, Harvey is native American.
Other athletic conferences were “oh so pleased” when UND wanted to join. But when the NCAA talked sanctions, those conferences got scared and ran away. I admit that I don’t understand how the money flows or why so many are so frightened of one group; but, I do know that being held hostage is not right.

Maybe it is time to recognize that the NCAA has too much power. Maybe we’ve lost sight of the sport for the love of money, power and prestige.

As a Yankton Sioux who grew up on the Rosebud and Standing Rock reservations, I’ve been puzzled about how the present-day leaders can turn their backs on the grandfathers’ covenant to UND. The Fighting Sioux name was given a blessing by the Elders, something I was taught not to take lightly.

In this politically correct world, let’s not lose sight of what’s going on here: the diminishing of the Indian, as in “out of sight, out of mind.”

I was raised to be proud of my Sioux heritage. My grandfathers are Baptiste Lambert, Struck the Ree, Rain In The Face, Wabasha and Burnt Thigh, among others. They were strong men and proud warriors, men who stood unwavering by what they believed.

But now, once again, the dominant culture is saying the Sioux name and logo are bad. Being Sioux is not bad. The logo shows a proud, focused warrior. What is there to be ashamed of?

I have yet to be convinced that the FIghting Sioux name and logo are harmful in any way. And at every game, the name of my people is shouted in the spirit of pride of belonging to something good. How great is that?
Harvey Uken