Tuesday, June 21, 2011

No joke, North Dakota should go with Suhaki

Bloggin with Scroggin
I am going to say no thank you... I have seen this blog post a few times, yeah, I know it's an old article it was written back in January.  I haven't really said much about this subject but I think this is a horrible idea in my opinion. None-the-less, I am sure with the recent revelations this past week this idea will be thrown around again by some to see if it sticks to the wall. It would work for hockey but it's not really user friendly for the rest of UND's programs.
Bloggin with Scroggin --- know this movement started as a humorous nonviolent protest, but seriously, I think North Dakota has something here.

Suhak. It’s a central Asian hoofed mammal (similar to an antelope) whose Wikipedia entry you have to translate from Polish.

And the plural form is Suhaki (pronounced “Sioux Hockey”).

Let me catch you up. The Cal Poly football team has been playing North Dakota since the Fighting Sioux joined the Great West Conference for the past couple of years. The teams will play again in 2011 and will continue to be conference mates when both make the switch to the Big Sky in 2012.

The past two times the Mustangs played North Dakota, the team was known as the Fighting Sioux. The next time, it’ll simply be North Dakota. The lack of a nickname going forward is the result of a years-long battle between the university and the NCAA, which has deemed Fighting Sioux offensive enough to threaten North Dakota with a postseason ban for continued use.

When it couldn’t get enough support from the two local Sioux tribes in the state, North Dakota decided to drop the name and will be going without a mascot for at least one year.

As someone who has annual contact with North Dakota, I’ve had the Sioux nickname conversation with others a few times, and I haven’t heard any good ideas for a substitute mascot — until this week.
Enhanced by Zemanta