Saturday, March 26, 2011

Sioux 6 RPI 0

Today was the first game of the Midwest Regional and the Fighting Sioux came out and put the woods to the RPI Engineers, the game was tight checking and close for the first period and the Sioux only led the game by one after one period, the Sioux eventually wore down the Engineers with their dept and broke open the game with four goals in the third period. The Sioux got one more goal in the third period to ice the game away. It was apparent as the game wore on that UND and RPI are no t on the same page are there is a huge difference between the two teams talent wise.

Nelson Knocked out of the game

There was one area of concern as RPI Josh Rabbani knocked Brock Nelson out literally and then Nelson was helped off of the ice by the trainer. In reviewing the video of the hit I would say that it could have been called a charge or interference. There was no penalty on the call and the Sioux went down the ice and scored. I do think that Brock Nelson has to keep his head up in that situation especially with a big physical team like RPI that tried to play physical against UND but to no avail.

Scoring for the Fighting Sioux were Brad Malone (2X), Danny Kristo, Jason Gregoire, Matt Frattin. Since coming back from frostbite, Danny Kristo has been on fire scoring (3g-2a-5tps) in his last three games. Kristo started out the season snake bitten and could hit water if he was standing in a boat in the middle of a lake. During the second half of the season, his fortunes have changed, Kristo has been on a scoring tear, if my math is right, Kristo had 1 goal, 4 assists and 5 points on November 26, since that date, Kristo has been red hot scoring (7g-15a-22pts).

Since coming back from his frostbite episode, It's almost like his frostbite incident has caused Kristo to refocus his efforts and play like a man that is possessed, his goal today was an awesome and the toe drag move was one for the highlight reels.

[Box Score]

Goon's three stars of the game
1.) Brad Malone (2g-0a-2pts)
2.) Danny Kristo (1g-1a-2pts)
3.) Aaron Dell shutout

Bracket Busting is legal

I think it would be an understatement if I said, “that my brackets are busted.” Actually, my brackets are now a piece of smoking rubble, I got one pick right the last two days. I am not doing very well I have only gotten on pick right and that was UND beating smoking RPI like a cheap cigar. I virtually have no chance of winning my pick-em contest that my buddy entered me into. #epicfail...

Controversy in St Louis

Last night there was a lot of controversy about the Michigan game winner against UNO, of course the ugly helmet fans are happy about this decision, why wouldn’t they be? Seriously, their team lives to fight reviewing everything that I have seen on the goal, I still think the refs made the wrong call on that goal review... That’s my opinion and I am not changing it. It should not take almost 10 minutes to review a goal, I am sorry if you can’t figure it out in 2-5 minutes it’s time to wave the goal off and get back to playing the game.

Ref that made call fired by the NHL

The ref that was part of controversial call is a disgraced and fired NHL/AHL referee. Harry Dumas who was fired by the NHL/AHL during the summer of 2006, I am not making that point up. So let me get this straight; in the biggest games of the year, the NCAA is using an on ice official that was fired by the NHL, that is not something to be proud of, that means this guy wasn’t very good, yet he is good enough to ref and NCAA Division 1 hockey game? How?!? I don’t like this precedent at all, you can’t tell me we don’t have other competent officials that haven’t been fired from the NHL or AHL that could call these regional games. [The Hockey Blog], [Hockey Refs] ... As a college hockey fan I find this to be unacceptable. But of course, Secretary Rules Editor Steve Piotrowski released this statement after the game.
"The officials' initial on-ice call was no goal. There was reasonable evidence to believe the puck had completely crossed the goal line. The play was stopped at the next non-advantage situation to allow an opportunity for the on-ice referees to review the video. Following video review, the on-ice referees determined through conclusive video evidence that the puck had completely crossed the goal line and exited the net by way of the goalie's leg pad."
What I find eve more puzzling is that Steve Piotrowski is from the CCHA so of course he is going to stick up for one of his member schools that benefited from the controversial ruling. The thing that really sticks in my craw is that it took the on ice officials almost 10 minutes to make the call, in my opinion that's unacceptable, if you don't see conclusive evidence that it's a goal in 2-5 minutes it's not there, no review should take that long, either there is visual evidence or there is not.