Monday, March 21, 2011

Redwing77's F5 Final Impressions

It's been a very long time but I have finally visited the XCel. My first Final 5 game. I still consider myself not having been to the Final 5 because I didn't get to see every game. However, here are my impressions:

The Fans

I sat around a wide variety of fans. Mostly were Sioux fans, but I sat next to two Gopher fans, in front of two SCSU fans, and talked to a few others. Oddly enough, the people who were the coldest were the two Sioux fans in front of me from Lincoln, NE. Stupid of me to consider we had something to talk about since I live in Omaha, NE. Oh well. Oddly enough, I spent most of my time talking to the Gopher fan and the Sioux fans behind me and to my right. I had fun even though I didn't get to put any faces to any of the names I see on USCHO, SS.com, or Schlossman's blog and here. As for Goon, he'll just owe me a drink for blowing me off this summer.

Talking to the Gopher fan, he was a fun guy despite him yelling Hobey Baker whenever Brittain made a save. However, it was all in fun anyways. I talked to him about the Gophers and he agreed with me about Hill. I didn't expect him to disagree with me though. Oh well.

The Seats

My seats, fans excluded, sucked. I had absolutely NO sightline to the far end of the rink. That meant that I only saw ONE goal, Frattin's game winner, live. The rest I saw on the jumbotron. In the end, with the up and down hockey we witnessed in the Broadmoor game (as I call it), I had a lot of trouble following the puck.

The Venue

XCel is nice. Unfortunately, I got screwed by the woman in front of me for the TShirts but oh well. She ordered one TShirt so, thinking she was done, I placed my order for 1. There were only three left. She turned to me and said "Hey, wait a minute, I'm not done!" And she took all 3 TShirts remaining. What a... Oh well. Not XCel's fault but certainly turned my mood slightly bitter postgame.

The Game

Denver came ready to play and they took it to us. Yes, we had one good period (2nd period), one half-good period (3rd period) and put it in the net in the end, but they had an OT that, by my opinion, was just Aaron Dell away from putting us away something like 3 or 4 times over.

Davidson's goal to put us ahead was SUPER soft. Brittain will have nightmares on that goal. Sam Brittain was DU's POTG for sure (and was awarded as such). Like I said, UND dominated in certain stretches but not for any too impressive stretch of time. Brittain stood on his head. If he stays hot into the NCAAs this could be trouble. Oh, and Zucker is fast. His play on Kristo would have been the Play of the Game, imo, if Brittain hadn't made that save on Knight.

UND didn't play poorly by any stretches, but they did get a bit careless at times. Failure to clear when they could have resulted in the first goal and chasing the puck caused the second. Aaron Dell isn't unbeatable but we should do better to protect him.

The Refs

Meh. I think they called a pretty decent game until the 3rd period when they were starting to let some overt penalties go. The first OT had some incredible noncalls in it. Oh well. It happens.

The Keys to Come

RPI is next. They aren't in the tourney because someone from the ECACHLMAO had to go besides Yale. They are good. VERY good. They have a Hobey finalist on the team. I believe it is his second time as a finalist. Unfortunately, that's as much as I know about RPI. Oh, they're no Holy Cross. They've been to the NCAAs before and have a pretty solid result at least once. We respect them and worry about DU after that.

DU will have no problem, in my opinion, with WMU. It could even turn into a laugher.

The #4 with the best chance to go all the way this year is UNH. CC is good, but won't be able to beat BC. I wish Air Force would beat Yale, especially since Air Force has already beaten them once this season... but I don't anticipate it happening. If Air Force doesn't beat Yale, I predict UMD will.

Notre Dame is also a #3 that has a great chance to make the Frozen Four. DU is the best #2, imo. Merrimack and Union... no offense, but... Thanks for playing.

I want Blais and Co. to beat Michigan badly but I think they'll be focused and ready to go after laying a steaming turd vs. WMU. Nevertheless, go Mavs.

There aren't any "easy" brackets this year. I guess the closest would be Yale's bracket. The hardest bracket is either Green Bay or St. Louis. It really depends upon how well Michigan and UNO play.