Thursday, March 24, 2011

Jeff Jackson not a fan of the Big Ten Hockey Conference

Looks like you can mark down Notre Dame Fighting Irish head hockey coach Jeff Jackson as not being a fan of the Big Ten Hockey Conference. If you haven't seen it, WSBT.COM has good article that is worth taking a look at. I do think Jackson brings up some of the issues that others are concerned about.
SOUTH BEND -- And in Jackson’s opinion, the changes that will soon come are not a promising circumstance for the game at all.

"I think what the Big Ten is doing could potentially have a negative impact on college hockey," Jackson said. "I think it's great that Penn State is adding college hockey. I think it's great that the Big Ten is going to be allowed to play each other more often. I think that's great for college hockey. But separating themselves from our league and the WCHA could have a pretty profound effect on college hockey in general."

Jackson's worries are not so much about the effects on Notre Dame, so much they are about the impact the potential changes will have on smaller schools, and the overall health of the game at the college level.

"My roots are from a small school up in the (Michigan upper peninsula)," Jackson said. "I coached 10 years at Lake Superior State. And I think one of the worst things that could happen is that teams don't go up there and play anymore. Because it could be the death nail of their program. And I don't think anybody wants to see that.

"Notre Dame is going to be fine. It's just a matter of us reviewing everything, making sure what's in the best interest of our University and our hockey program."