Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Potter: Senior SCSU hockey players 'crossed the line'

Now we know the rest of the story. Sounds like there was a big party down in Florida after the SCSU Huskies won their holiday tourney the Florida College Classic and the president of SCSU doesn't blame the coaches for the incident in Florida. Porter says he is proud of them. Apparently the beat writer for the Florida Everblades Naples News Woody Wommack saw the SCSU Huskies loading up the team vans with beer. I am not an expert with NCAA rules but I can't imagine the NCAA looking to fondly at this incident.
Potter also told the paper that he's "proud of my coaches. I'm proud of my athletic director. We had a couple young men, who are seniors and should have known better, and they crossed the line."

This is where things get interesting for me. Following the tournament's championship game, I finished my work and was headed home. I stopped for gas at the new Race Trac gas station near the intersection of Daniels and I-75. Also there were three 15-passenger vans carrying the entire St. Cloud State team.

As I filled my car up with gas, I watched player after player leave the store with beer and get into the vans. I figured the team was celebrating the tournament victory, but I also wondered how team officials, who were driving the vans, could allow players to buy large amounts of beer and bring them on the team van.

Normally, I would keep this information to myself, the team won the tournament and they wanted to blow off some steam. But for the St. Cloud State president to put all the blame on the players and say his staff was innocent is a little irresponsible.

What do you think? Are you happy the Everblades signed Mosey or do you think they should stay away from players with sketchy backgrounds?