Friday, November 19, 2010

Live thoughts: Game 1 vs. UNO

Ok, I went to the Qwest Center for my first live Sioux game since I moved to Omaha and I can say... well... we won....

Goaltending

Goon hit it right on. Eidsness isn't a bad goaltender when he's on... but the man's got a self-confidence problem the size of North America. The first goal happened right in front of me. Genoway "sorta" dives and the puck deflects off of his leg right onto the blade of a UNO player and it goes in. Yes, it was weak, but it would have been avoided had Genoway simply dove traditionally instead of the kind of slide one usually sees baserunners do going into second base. Oops! Sorry. Eidsness' fault. Sorry to pick on a fan favorite who can do no wrong. {/off soapbox}

The goals as I saw it? I already spoke about the first goal. The second and fourth goals were weak on Eidsness' fault. The third goal was simply sniped in. There wasn't much of an angle for Montpetit to shoot at and he threaded the needle (at least from my angle it looked like it did). Doesn't excuse Eidsness but... I was lenient on that one. Eidsness' second goal and Dell's lone goal he gave up have one thing in common though: If you had your stick square to the shooter, neither pucks would have gone in.

Funny thing..... UNO's goaltender started to imitate Eidsness as the game wore on. He played ok in the First Period (though UND only managed 6 shots on goal of which 2 were really genuine scoring chances). Genoway's wraparound was a complete joke. Yeah, it counts, but what Faulkner was doing while Genoway was going around the net was anyone's guess. If I were Blais, I would have called a time out right after that goal and yanked him. Seriously, Genoway had an open net to tuck the puck into.

I'd play Dell tomorrow (obviously going to happen but just in case anyone was wondering) and I'd actually play Faulkner's backup as well.

Defense

Andrej Sustr is big. Like, Joe Finley big.... And had he wore UND green, people would hate him. He wasn't physical.... at all.

In any case, UND's bread and butter was supposed to be their defense. Yeah well.... unless we can count on scoring 6 goals per game, defensive "performances" like this won't win us many games. Though goaltending was rather subpar tonight, UNO scored on rebounds. We didn't protect the front of the net and they beat us to the rebounds. The first period was just embarrassing.

Special Teams

Our powerplay sucked. Sorry guys. I don't recall if we ever scored on the powerplay, but I told my friend I went with that we should go down a man more often to produce more offense rather than up a man.

Our shorty was a great goal but it was a greater lapse by UNO's powerplay that made it possible. They simply looked so put out by our PK unit that, when the rush started, they simply seemed to sit back and watch. Boom. Goal.

Our PK was dominant. Funny how well we play defensively when we were down a man but we couldn't handle 5 on 5 defense... or maybe UNO's powerplay simply sucks.

Offense

We played VERY well offensively.... for the last half of the game. The first half of the game we were so squeamish and worried about UNO that, even if there was a slight possibility of UNO taking possession, UND would fall back. We seemed preoccupied rather than confident. Hiccups offensively happen and defense usually picks up the slack. No defense was there to be had so all that was there to pick up the slack was our goaltender and he had no confidence. I guess that's what went down.

Oh, Frattin is great and I'm SUPER happy Kristo finally gets his goal.

UNO was fast... very fast. I actually thought at times they were faster than we were. The UNO fans that sat behind me stated that UNO is typically a Saturday team and...well... Name a Dean Blais team that didn't seem to be better on Saturday than on Friday.

The Experience

Though I was supposedly on the UND side of the arena, I wasn't around many Sioux fans. However, I did get to see the dark side of UND fandom. I witnessed a very passionate UNO fan sitting one row in front of me get verbally abused (albeit very briefly so) by a UND fan after UNO got called for a penalty that shouldn't have been called (more on this later). He was right. He was angry. But his verbal outcry was against the refs, not UND or its fans. It was embarrassing to me. The UNO fans I was sitting around were very nice to me. It didn't seem warranted. Look, I know we've a right to speak our feelings and defend our team, but do it with class... and know your place. We're in Omaha right now and this isn't our home territory. Remember we are guests in the Qwest Center and, though we're not here to cheer UNO to victory, nor should be we expected to be happy if things don't go our way, we need to act with some level of class and civility in our host's "house."

I'm not lucky enough to be sitting with those nice people (UNO fans they may be) tomorrow, but I can't wait to go again.

By the way, no way there was almost 11,500 people there. No way. And their intermission entertainment was mostly good. The No Frills "Let's Make a Deal" spinoff was lame. The races they had were actually kindof fun. The video before the third period was SPECTACULAR. I wish UND had that instead of the stupid Tostito/Cloverdale Meats/Altru commercials... which, by the way, there were NO ads on the Jumbotron pretty much all game.

Getting out of the Qwest sucked though.

The Officiating

I don't know who these bums were but.... They sucked. BIG TIME. The AR's seemed to be out of shape and sluggish. They seemed to always get in the way. They also factored into some pretty bad officiating calls. First, the penalty that shouldn't have been. Yes, UNO's #12 elbowed a UND player (I didn't catch who). Yes, it was a penalty... or was it? No, it wasn't. Why? Because UND was WAY THE HELL offsides. No Call. UND also got a gift icing called when UNO actually had the inside track on the puck (though he was about a half step behind the UND player). There were some BS calls that actually went UND's way (for once). I couldn't believe it. The officiating had the Mavs fan in front of me almost in the state of cardiac arrest. He looked so darned mad it was amazing. Still can't help but wonder what the WCHA would be like if we had quality officiating.

My Three Stars

First Star: Matt Frattin
Second Star: Brad Malone
Third Star: Alex Hudson

UNO had our number and nearly beat us. Tomorrow's game will come down to adjustments. Whoever makes the better adjustments tomorrow will win the game. At this point, I don't know who will win.

No comments:

Post a Comment