Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Weekend in review


I will include these pictures from this past weekend again. Also, Eric Stromgren from the Bemidji Pioneer has some really nice photos on his blog as well as in the Bemidji Pioneer.

This past weekend I was one of the lucky ones that was able to take in the historic first ever WCHA hockey series between the BSU Beavers and the UND Fighting Sioux at the “new” BREC in Bemidji. My first impression of the BREC is 100% positive and you can mark me down as being impressed with the layout of the building and the grounds. Bemidji gets an “A” for their new building.

From what I can see in my first viewing of the BREC; its an amazing and impressive facility that will even the playing field for the BSU Beavers hockey team as far as recruitment goes, it’s definitely an up grade from the John S Glas Field House.

In walking around in the bowels of the arena I was impressed with the player’s area, the BREC has something like 4 locker rooms; an impressive weight room, that unfortunately I didn’t get a picture of the weight room, none the less, the weight room had equipment that was top of the line. In today’s recruiting environment, those amenities are important features when recruiting players in the WCHA.

BREC fan friendly

While The BREC has a lot of amenities and will give BSU the edge when going for prized recruits in the future; there are also a lot of nice fan friendly amenities that will make the BREC an attractive option for future road trips and improve the hockey viewing experience for the college hockey fan. Like I said before this is not your daddy’s John S Glas Field House college hockey experience anymore, the two arenas don’t compare 46,000,000.00 > 970,000.00.

Based on what I saw last weekend the BREC has room for about 4373 fans (even though I have read somewhere that it seats 4,700) people and it’s the perfect size for a town like Bemidji that has a population that is roughly about 10,000 people. From what I saw the BREC has good site lines and I didn’t hear any complaints from fans about not being able to see the game.

One thing that caught my eye was that the Student section is positioned right behind the visiting goalie for two of the three periods and with their seating configuration allows the BSU student section to stand for the whole game if they would like, because they are not blocking the view of anyone behind them. In other words, they didn’t build luxury suites behind the student section. So that eliminates one problem there.

I was down by the Zamboni door where the Sioux players were leaving the ice surface after the pregame warm ups and it was interesting to see the BSU student section giving the Sioux players the business as they left the ice. The language coming from the stands was probably PG-13 and probably not as coarse as I thought it would be. The Sioux players seemed to enjoy it and smile as they walked off the ice. I have to admit that it was fun to watch the exchange.

The club seating and suite area is really nice and has a few amenities that really stood out to me as well. The club seating area seat approximately 200 fans in seat in the west end of the arena, that area is finished off with a nice bar, which incidentally serves more than Miller Beer products. One person that I know told me that the loneliest person was the Miller Lite beer stand in the lobby out side of the lower bowl of the arena. There is also leather couches in the club seating area to sit on between periods. The rest room facilities in the Club/Suite level area were nice and not crowded at all.

Bemidiji Regional Event Center

Over the weekend many people twittered me and sent me text messages asking me what I thought about the new BREC. Personally, I am excited about the new facility and I will reiterate what I said earlier, the Bemidji Regional Event Center is an improved high end version of the of the United Plains Center or what will now be called the Scheels Arena in Fargo, ND. The city of Bemidji did the BREC right and didn’t do it on the cheap, and they also laid the ground work for some nice expansion in the future.

Eventually, there is going to be a Holiday Inn Express built that will be connected to the BREC. So a person will be able to attend a hockey game and stay right there on the Grounds of the Bemidji Regional Events Center. That would be a plus in the winter when the weather turns bad.

As I mentioned in a paragraph above, one of the amenities from the BREC that I think the fans appreciated was that there is a bigger selection of adult beverages in the lobby of the lower bowl of the arena. Seriously, if you’re a fan that like to consume a beer or two there are more options than Miller Beer products. Also, you can get a mixed drink if you so chose without having to go to an arena bar. The one issue I saw with the mixed drink stand was there appeared to be only one mixed drink stand on the lower level causing long lines to purchase said mixed drink. It’s a minor issue and not a deal breaker. I was also able to purchase a Dunn Brother’s Coffee in the lobby of the BREC. I thought that was a really nice touch.

BSU a first class organization

First, I want to preface this last paragraph to say that I would like to thank the Bemidji Sports Information Director Brad Folkestad for his hospitality and thank him for giving me press credentials and an opportunity to report on the historic first WCHA series between the BSU Beavers and the UND Fighting Sioux.

It was a pleasure to be a part of what transpired this past weekend, BSU is a first class organization that does everything with class and has a lot of pride as an organization. I attended BSU in the early 1990’s before I transferred to UND and BSU is definitely one of my favorite teams and a town that I still consider home, I also graduate from BHS in 1985. I will always fondly remember the campus and town of Bemidji. I will always remember this weekend positively as long as I live.