Monday, August 30, 2010

Paul Kelly wants NCAA to relax stance on CHL

H/T Junior Hockey Paul Kelly wants the NCAA to relax the rule that says once you play major junior you can't play in college. I think it's a good idea. I would shoot for more than 10 games though.
Boston.com --- Education is just one tool Kelly and other college hockey proponents have to promote the game. One change the NCAA could consider is its hard-and-fast eligibility rule. Currently, once a player signs with a major junior team or even appears in one game, he is not eligible for college hockey. Like other college advocates, Kelly supports a grace period. If a player appears in 10 or fewer junior games and decides it’s not the right fit, he could still play NCAA hockey.

“I wouldn’t mind seeing the NCAA move in that direction,’’ Kelly said. “You hear a lot of horror stories about a kid who played eight games, left his CHL team, and now he’s lost. He can’t go to college, but he’s still a talented kid. But right now, I don’t think there’s a big appetite for that. The overwhelming majority of college coaches agree with the current NCAA rule that all major junior hockey is like a pro league.’’
I think the NCAA’s stance on the CHL is misguided and wrong and I think the NCAA should reconsider its stance against the CHL because frankly I think It’s hurting NCAA hockey. Let's think of it this way. What if a kid played in the WHL while he was 16 up until say his 18 birthday and then decided that he wanted to go to college and play US college hockey. Why not let that kid play division I hockey. I think that kids should be able to play in the NCAA if he wants to. Just my humble opinion.