Thursday, July 08, 2010

NHL News (sorta) and LeBron James

Ok, I'm lying about LeBron James.

I'll let all those basketball rubes inflate his ego beyond all precedence. He needs it. I disliked Kobe because of his antics in Colorado but now... well. I don't see how anyone can be a LeBron fan. Not even Jordan had this kind of ego. So much for LeBron being likable. At least, after tonight, ESPN can return to normalcy... waiting to hear what Brett Favre has in mind.

Anyways, similar to LeBron, everyone's waiting for Ilya Kovalchuk to hold a press conference to let us know how well orchestrated his obliteration of the fun of the early free agency period has played out.

Seriously, I hope he joins Evgeni Nabokov in SKA St Petersburg of the KHL. Leave the egos to the NBA and NFL.

Nabokov left for the KHL and with him, goes the best free agent goaltender on the market. I know he never quite did well in the playoffs. I know his work ethic was questioned at times. I know his inconsistency as the season wore on. However, I give you this for consideration: Watch San Jose this season. They'll be ok, but not as good as they were with Nabokov. Why? Because I think Nabokov meant more to the Sharks than most people realized. And when that happens, failure happens. The Hawks didn't win because of Niemi. In fact, I think Niemi was their weakest link (and he played well so...). The Pens didn't win their cup because of Fleury. Fleury is still the weakest goaltender still playing today whose name is on the Cup... I know I know, Chris Osgood sucks, but he's got an excuse. HE'S OLD!

Rumor Nabokov got paid $24 million over 4 years with the KHL. Good for him. No way was he going to get that kind of money in the NHL.

This leaves the Flyers looking for a #1 goaltender. They've shown interest in Tim Thomas, but that fell through. They showed interest in Nabokov, but that's out of the question. They are left with Michael Leighton and Brian Boucher. They did great last post season but I doubt they'll repeat even with the dynamic defense Philly has put together.

So where does that leave them? They could stand pat (and they may have to) or they could go after Marty Turco (which is basically Turco's only shot at being the #1 at this point) or they could do what Chicago and Minnesota have done in finding a hidden gem in the Finnish Elite League.

Who knows.

In Detroit news, the Wings resigned former MSU Spartan Drew Miller and former Shattuck product Patrick Eaves. But they lost Lebda to the Maple Leafs.

They've made waves by going after Mike Modano, but I don't know if that's going to come to fruition.

I've maintained they need to get younger. And Modano isn't young.

They still have Meech, Abdelkader, and Helm unsigned and only $4.3 million to do it. If Modano signs with the Wings, ESPN suggests that it will cost at least $1 million. Abdelkader is going to be a multi year deal and could cost a pretty penny.

Unless they fail to sign the youth, this offseason is going to be long for a Red Wing fan.




BallHype: hype it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment