Sunday, May 09, 2010

An End of the Year for the Red Wings (RW77)

Ok, it's no surprise to any of the Goon's World regulars that I represent one (if not the only) Red Wings fan on this Blog, but I'm going to lament the good and the bad and ponder the offseason for my Wings in this post.

I admit this is about where I picked the Red Wings to exit the playoffs. I just wished it was in Game 7.

This team went through a ton of ups and downs and, insodoing, came a long way towards establishing a new (but still old) identity.

Last year it was the Penguins that endured a ton of injuries and prevailed. The media was all over the excuse when the Pens lost too. If Gonchar were healthy... if Malkin and Crosby were 100%... etc. This year, the Red Wings lost a TON of players to injury. In my opinion, far more talent was lost this year by the Red Wings to injury than to the Penguins last season.

However, unlike the Penguins, the added implosion of Chris Osgood and the underperformance of the Team D (partially because of Osgood) proved too much in the end.

They were jokes for much of the season, flirting with the final playoff spot but never quite being serious about getting it until very late in the season. Despite the punch line, this competitiveness is remarkable because they lost so much talent to injury and those that remained underperformed. I would have placed them fading into oblivion if I hadn't known better. That doesn't mean I didn't have any doubt about the playoffs. On the contrary, for much of the year, I had the Red Wings placing 9th, only a few points out of the 8th spot.

When the Wings came on strong and managed to finish 5th or 6th (for some reason I can't remember exactly), I was impressed. They were playing awesome hockey. And Jimmy Howard was doing Detroit and the NCAA alumni proud with his play.

In the end the Sharks were just too good for the Red Wings. I think it comes down to depth. I just see the Sharks as being the team with more depth right now than Detroit. They were able to use that depth to their advantage in this series.

So what does this offseason have in store for Detroit?

Here is a list of pending Detroit Free Agents:

Jason Williams (Center)
Tomas Holmstrom (Wing)
Kirk Maltby (Wing)
Todd Bertuzzi (Wing)
Nick Lidstrom (Defense)
Andreas Lilja (Defense)
Brett Lebda (Defense)

Rumors have it that Kirk Maltby is going to retire. I really don't see Williams or Bertuzzi being a big "must sign" either. The big question marks lie in Holmstrom and Lidstrom.

I think the Wings need Holmstrom's grit and knack for getting under the skin of the opposition. He's mouthy, a punk for sure, but at least he's not cheap like Carcillo or Cooke. Lilja and Lebda could probably be resigned for cheap...or they could go in a different direction.

What I WOULD like to see is we replace Williams with someone like John Madden. I know that is replacing what is considered a scoring center with a gritty checking center, but Madden is superb on faceoffs and great defensively and not bad in the offensive zone. However, he is expensive and he's 37 years old. If the Wings wanted to replace him with a scoring winger, I'd expect them to go after someone like Tomas Plekanec or Matthew Lombardi (if they have the money).

In truth, I'm not sure which direction they are going to go because I'm not the guy who understands the whole salary cap and math side of putting a team together. So I listed 3 high priced guys without knowing if the Wings could even sign any of them under the cap.

One thing I did notice is that Osgood is NOT a free agent. I assumed he was. Unfortunately, that means one of two things:

1. Hope he retires
2. Hope Detroit finds a way to buy him out

The guy just can't play anymore. And I'd rather not spend Osgood's salary on a backup... at least I wouldn't if I were the GM.

Instead, I'd like to bring in someone like Michael Leighton or a long shot like Dany Sabourin because they are relatively young, cheap, and in the case of Leighton, had a pretty decent season. Leighton, to me, screams Ty Conklin. And IMO, Conklin should still be backing up in Detroit.

Who knows which direction the Wings will go? But I do know that next year they'll still be a top contender.



BallHype: hype it up!

3 comments:

  1. I have to admit that I am giddy as hell that the Redwings are now done and on the scap heap that was the 2009-2010 season. Go Bruins and Go Hawks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that was nice, now our teams have basically ended the same way in the second round and in an unimpressive fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No.

    My team was playing well in the last month of play, but otherwise really got lucky to make the playoffs.

    We never held a 3- anything lead in any series we were in.

    We didn't choke. We went as far as our level of play could take us.

    I think the Red Wings left the playoffs on a higher note than the Bruins.

    ReplyDelete