Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Bemidji State men's hockey: Nagle coin set in concrete at each end of BREC arena

Here is an interesting story about the BREC Robert H. Peters Rink. A nice honor to a great guy Galen Nagle. I can't wait to golf in the Galen Nagle Tourney again this season.
Before the 2002 Winter Olympics at Salt Lake City, Canadian ice makers placed a Loonie coin on the arena floor under the center ice face-off dot before making the ice for the hockey tournaments.

The Canadian men and women won the gold medals.

In 2008, a Boston baseball fan buried a Red Sox jersey in the concrete at the new Yankee Stadium construction site.

At great expense, the jersey was chipped out.

Even the John Glas Fieldhouse on the Bemidji State University campus was infiltrated last summer when a member of the rival Alabama-Huntsville team placed a horse, representing their Chargers mascot, somewhere in the arena. It has yet to be found.

The Bemidji Regional Event Center, new home to Beavers hockey, will have its own talisman, or maybe it could be considered a memorial to a fallen teammate.

Tom Kaplan, a defenseman for the Beavers in the mid 1970s and current public address announcer, came up with the idea to place a Galen Nagle medallion in the concrete floor of the new arena.

Nagle was a goalie for the Beavers from 1980-84. He worked as a coach and teacher in Minnesota for several years before losing his life to cancer in 1996 at the age of 34. [Read the rest of the story]
BallHype: hype it up!

5 comments:

  1. Hey Goon, maybe I will run into you at the Nagle this year. That is if my team stays together as some always seem to want to run off to Moondance that day.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and forgot to mention, what a great honor for Coach Peters to have the rink named after him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your comment and thought, "yeah, I need to go this year." Unfortunatly, I got Twins tickets for that day, so will be out of town. I always say I'm going to go, and something always comes up...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope so Millsy I will be playing with Scott and his foursome, I should be a lot of fun. Maybe I should take the wife to Moondance before the tourney.

    ReplyDelete
  5. John this tourney is a lot of fun. I recommend it highly...

    ReplyDelete