Thursday, March 25, 2010

Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, and Redwing77

Ok, a quick blurb on my dislike of the hype surrounding "the Legend" and "Alexander the Great."

Yes, the main stuff has been documented beyond the need for this post, so I'll skip it. But check this out:

Today I watched the NHL Network and they were doing a program on Wayne Gretzky. Yes, Wayne Gretzky. Watching his goal clips, he wasn't as much of a showboater as Alexander Ovechkin. He was just a super solid, ultra consistent, point machine that always used to exploit weaknesses in opponents' games to perfection. Oh yeah, and even by his admission, the fact that goaltender equipment was "half the size" they are today (his quote not mine) might mean something.

Now, I'm not going to slight Gretzky, but I will say this: When Gretzky was on the ice, there was always seemingly the impression that the fans and media was watching greatness. There wasn't any need to say it... It..Just..Was. With Crosby and Ovechkin...is that they case?

Nope. The NHL CONSTANTLY needs to TELL US that we're watching greatness. So, what do you think is truly great? Watching it and knowing or having it told to you?

Let's key this on another note: I could tell you that Adrian Peterson is the best running back in the game. Then I could show you footage of Walter Payton or Barry Sanders or Emmitt Smith. Would I have to say ANYTHING about those three to let you know how great they were? If the answer is "Yes" then congrats, you defeated my point. If the answer is "No" even if there is a "But" after it, then my point is made. Thank you very much.

Sidney Crosby is a good hockey player. Alexander Ovechkin is a good hockey player (and would be greater if he stopped with the cheap hits). But Crosby is FAR from "the Legend" status and neither can be called "the greatest." Hey, Gretzky had 200+ points in a season 3 times, maybe more. THAT's legend status. 50 goals in 39 games. LEGEND STATUS. Sorry, Crosby isn't there yet.

And I promise this is the first and last post about this topic (unless of course cheap shots come out or Crosby or Ovechkin do something simply "legendary")

BallHype: hype it up!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Goon you should start a private group on the college hockey championship challenge for goons world readers. The info is on brads blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I have the time for something like that.

    ReplyDelete