Sunday, March 21, 2010

Redwing77's NCAA Outlook

I'm sitting here watching the NCAA Selection show and it looks like our bracket might've gotten a bit easier.

We play YALE in the opening round. BC opens with Alaska Fairbanks. We play at 5pm EST (they say ESPN360.com, but I'm not sure about webcast etc.).

I think this outlook is much better than the USCHO final bracketology, which had us either playing Michigan or New Hampshire in the opening round.

Once again, we play BC, a team that has had our number as of late. And, once again, BC will be our toughest foe.

Yeah, I'm looking past Yale. I really don't think they're as good as their record indicates. I really don't think they're playing well enough coming into the playoffs to hang with the Sioux. It's not going to be a blowout, but if the Sioux continue playing the way they have coming into the playoffs, we should face off against BC.

Barry "Eastern Bias" Melrose and Sean "Can't remember his last name" both have UND making the Frozen Four and both of them have us losing to Miami. I'd like to think there's a good chance that they are right on about the Frozen Four prediction. Miami's track is simply amazingly easy any way you cut it. Michigan is the only team at their bracket that could give them trouble.


Let's use their analysis and predictions:

Barry loves Cornell. Sean loves Wisconsin. I love neither team. If it comes down to a battle of goaltenders, then Barry is right. Cornell wins. Scrivens is far superior to Bennett and Gudmanson of UW. I think Scrivens is the best goaltender in that predicted Frozen Four lineup.

If it comes down to offense, then UND and UW hold the key to the NC. And if it comes down to simple team D, then it's a toss up as I think all four of those teams have solid Team D. I guess I'd have to give the slight edge to UW as their DCorps is amazing.

But yeah, what I'd like to see is Cornell laying an egg against DU. Then it is Miami, DU, UW, and UND in the Frozen Four. Melrose is distraught and ESPN ponders throwing in a quick coverage of the 2008 World Series of Poker replay during the ensuing WCHA vs WCHA matchup (not sure which two would face off against each other).

Is UND a shoe in, like they say for the Frozen Four? No. They're only one bad game or bad shift away from the end of their season. BC definitely has the ability to do it. Who really knows.

FYI - Barry Melrose shows his true colors by calling Dane Jackson the "best assistant in college hockey." Now, I know my green colored glasses should make this a bragging point, but my realist stance says "hello bias." You see, Jackson was the coach for a team owned by Barry Melrose at one point. I believe it was a UHL team. I'm not saying Jackson is terrible, but I'm not sure if that accolade is entirely accurate either.
BallHype: hype it up!

3 comments:

  1. I like Barry on the NHL game. He knows his stuff.

    It's pretty clear that he doesn't know the college game and why should he.

    They should have college hockey guys doing the show, but I suppose they want the "star power" of Melrose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it mattered at all who did the show. ESPN is a bunch of ratings panderers because that's what makes the money.

    I can't be upset by this too much because that's how the industry works and it isn't a slight on hockey, UND, or anyone really in particular.

    The fact that this selection show even made ESPN2 when they could have shown the 2004 World Series of Power Final Table replay (or whatever the get their jollies off of nowadays) is a small victory.

    They play the eastern teams like noone's business because hockey is big in those markets.... if you don't count Minnesota (who does, right? whatever).

    The best case scenario for Melrose would be a Cornell-Miami or, better yet, a Cornell-BC NC game. THey don't have to focus on the WCHA at all then.

    ReplyDelete