Monday, March 01, 2010

USA something to be proud of; Olympic hockey finish

I was reading the blog post by Redwing77 I got to thinking, US College Hockey has come a long ways. Look at the list of players and where they came from. The best goalie in the Olympics was a colligate hockey player from Michigan State and a Hobey Baker Memorial Award winner. Two of the top forwards Zach Parise USA, Jonathan Toews Canada, came from my alma mater the University of North Dakota. The Top Defensive hockey player was an Wisconsin Badger Brian Rafalski, or as I like to say he is a "dirty Badger", I know I am kidding.

The purpose of this post is not about beating my chests and saying that the NCAA division one hockey is better than the CHL because, I don’t believe this an argument we need to have, I think it's counter productive. I think both hockey associations serve their purpose and both have their strong points. I think it’s just a good time to give recognition where recognition is due, college hockey produces some really good hockey players. Based on the USA WJC finish and the Olympics hockey results, I also think that the USA is closing the gap with the Canadians in hockey.

I also like what Ron Wilson and Brian Burke are trying to do with Team USA, they built a team around players that buy into the name on the front of the jersey and not the name on the back. This team also excelled when many thought they would be on the outside looking in. Does it sound like a sports cliché? Yeah it does. I only wish there had been another miracle on ice.

Goaltender: Ryan MILLER (USA) Michigan State University
Defenceman: Brian RAFALSKI (USA)University of Wisconsin
Defenceman: Shea WEBER (CAN)Kelowna Rockets WHL
Forward: Pavol DEMITRA (SVK) ZTS Dubnica
Forward: Jonathan TOEWS (CAN) University of North Dakota
Forward: Zach PARISE (USA) University of North Dakota
Most valuable player: Ryan MILLER (USA)

Tournament Directorate Best Player Awards
Goaltender: Ryan MILLER (USA)
Defenceman: Brian RAFALSKI (USA)
Forward: Jonathan TOEWS (CAN)
Cross posted @ the Sin Bin
BallHype: hype it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment