Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Jeff Carter smokes Anssi Salmela


All I can say is ouch! Looks like a violent but legal hit to me.

Devils defenseman Anssi Salmela was taken off the ice on a stretcher in Philadelphia Monday night after getting hit by the Flyers' Jeff Carter just after scoring a short-handed goal for a 2-0 Devils lead.

Salmela, who came to the Devils in the Ilya Kovalchuk trade, cut around Mike Richards in the right circle and scored from the slot just as Carter delivered a right shoulder to his head.

After remaining facedown on the ice for six minutes in a mostly silent Wachovia Center, Salmela was removed from the ice on a stretcher. No penalty was called on the play.

The goal and it occurred at 1:01 of the second period. As the period ended, the Devils reported that Salmela was walking around the dressing room and was OK. [NJ.COM]



BallHype: hype it up!

1 comment:

  1. Violent. Yes. Unnecessary. Yes. Legal... yes, hopefully for now.

    I don't see a place in hockey for hits like these. I don't think Carter was headhunting although it really does look like it from the replay. I think Carter realized the play was over too late.

    And I'm saying this because, to my knowledge, Carter doesn't have a history or a rep of dirty hits. So, I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

    I hope next season brings a penalty to hits like these, though.

    ReplyDelete