Monday, January 04, 2010

Bring on Maverick/Sioux Week! (by LGM)

Well, given that it's Maverick vs. Sioux week I figured I better make my second post on Goon's World.

My beloved Mavericks will hit the road for the long trek to Grand Forks this week to play at the always dreaded Ralph. This trip, however, is probably the only one to date where the weather is just as cold in Mankato as it is in Grand Forks. Seriously, how do you Sioux faithful put up with such dang cold weather all winter long?!?

Sadly, I will not be making the trip to Grand Forks this year. I made my first trip there last year and a return trip was just not in the cards. Sorry folks, none of you will get to yell at me in person. I'm sure my good buddy Archie will be sure to yell at me in the comments section here at Goon's World sometime this week though.

I'll start out my first post of the week (if you're lucky there will be more than one) with the Top 5 reasons it's better to be a Maverick Fan than a Sioux Fan.

#5 We don't have to rely on racists jerks to build us an arena. We go at it the old fashioned way with a local tax and naming rights to a wallet gouging cell phone company.

#4 While Jutting is ugly and a poor coach, at least he remembers to take the coat hanger out of his suit jacket before wearing it and occasionally smiles. This can not be said about Hak!

#3 It takes more pride and effort to be a Maverick fan than a Sioux fan. You have to pay more money for Maverick wear and it's not the "only" hockey team around to really cheer for. (Fargo doesn't count because it's new) The Mavs struggle at times and it takes a lot of heart to stand behind a team that doesn't get all of the top players. Face it, it's easier to jump on and off the Green and White bandwagon...just like the Maroon and Gold one!

#2 Year in and year out, the Mavericks always bring an intense and physical game to the ice. That makes for some excellent hockey watching!

#1 We do not have a hostile and abusive mascot. To date, there have not been any lawsuits or complaints from any Mavericks that are offended by us using them as a mascot!

*this is humor people....roll with it before you totally flip out at me!

Oh and the SUPER #1 reason it's better to be a Maverick fan. Well, hello...ME. It's all about me:)

That's it for now Sioux dwellers....I'll hopefully be back to razz you some more this week and give you a break down of what to expect from the Mavericks. From the Sioux I'll be expecting...um, ice packs and crutches? Seriously, is anyone on your team not injured?!? YIKES! I feel your pain, really...the Mavs had a horrible injury season a few years back. It sucks.

P.S- anytime you Sioux fans want to be Maverick haters, I'm pretty sure most of you were the biggest Maverick fans several times in the past years when we beat on the Gophers or when their dirty hack Brian Schack attacked LGM favorite Channing Boe and loser Lucia defended it. Just remember those times people.

10 comments:

  1. Dang it Goon! Why did you go and post right after me to make your post on top?!? Turd!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's ok...just giving you a hard time.

    I can't believe you don't have any comments about my sassy post!!

    I assume you'll be wearing a Maverick jersey this weekend and cheering for the boys in purple?!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff. I must say I like the Mav's, they play a lot like the Sioux. Intense, hard working, and they don't take any crap. Probably why this rivalry has been so intense the last few years. Always good hockey when the Mav's are in town.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish they did not wear purple though, such a bad hockey color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know who the sioux are going to fight now that trevor bruess is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not sure either but usually the game are pretty rough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greatest potential for a fight is probably Tyler Thompson...who ironically wears Bruess' old number 23.

    Mike Louwerse, #11, is smaller but pretty fiesty too.

    Just NO fighting with #28, Channing Boe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy, I don't think we see a fight this weekend. UND hasn't had a fighting Major since I believe the Kaip fight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think we'll see one either, maybe just some roughing.

    ReplyDelete