Tuesday, November 10, 2009

How good is BSU?

Apparently some don't think BSU is worthy of the 7th place ranking in the USCHO Poll/USA Today Poll; first off it’s early and a lot of traditional teams have fallen flat on their faces early in the season. Some have asked me why I am silent this season when BSU is ranked so high in the early season polls and power rankings. Don't get mad at me or blame me for the polls.

I didn’t vote for any of these teams but I don’t disagree with BSU’s ranking so far. Seriously, after BSU dispatched Notre Dame and Cornell in convincing in the NCAA playoffs to make the Frozen Four and then fast forward to this season where the Beavers get off to a fast start, I wouldn't think they would needed to defend their high ranking. Just saying.

I don't understand why should BSU be punished they have beaten everyone on their schedule so far, the pollsters didn't seem to mind last season when it was AFA. Does anyone forget how last season the media was in love and fawning all over the Air Force Falcons when they went 13-1-0 to start the season most of their 13 wins were unimpressive and against the weak sisters of the poor. Look at the schedule they had, there were four wins against one of the worst teams in the AHA and college hockey Sacred Heart, two more of their wins were against cupcakes American International and Bentley those teams don’t exactly make me say “wow I am impressed”.
AFA 2008-2009 Schedule
Win Sacred Heart
Win Sacred Heart
Win Bemidji State
Win Bemidji State
Win American Int'l
Win American Int'l
Win Bentley
Win Bentley
Win Holy Cross
Win Holy Cross
Win Sacred Heart
Win Sacred Heart
Win Colorado College
Loss Denver Univcersity
Fast forward to this season the Beavers have started the season going 7-0-1. The Beavers only blemish on their record was a tie against NMU; before you knock NMU this was the same team that also beat the UMD Bulldogs earlier this season.

Let’s review the BSU schedule to date; the Beavers took Air Force Academy to the wood shed 3-1 and 7-3 revenging last season’s loss to the Falcons. The Falcons are the same team that lost to Alabama Huntsville the next weekend by identical 4-2 scores. The next weekend the Beavers played at Northern Michigan and beat and tied the Wildcats. Then the Beavers traveled to UAH and swept the Charges and played RMU at home and swept the Colonials. The Beavers have beat everyone that is one their schedule except for the tie against NMU. It is what it is.

I personally think the PWR and the Polls mean nothing until after the first of the year. The polls and power rankings make nice reading material but no team has won a championship in October, November or the December. The Beavers also have a tough non-conference schedule coming up in the next three weeks they will play Minnesota, Alabama Huntsville and a game each against Miami and Ohio State. If the Beavers can go 3-3 or 4-2 during that time frame I think they would be worthy of a top fifteen rankings. Let’s see how things play out. Also so far to date the soon to be defunct CHA has proven to be to better than the AHA.

EDIT:My buddy Gary tells me that since Jan 24th 2009 the Beavers record is 19-3-2. That is a pretty darn good record.
BallHype: hype it up!

7 comments:

  1. My point, Goon, was that you WERE apoplectic over AFA being ranked that highly for so long last year. And they played similar teams to BSU and had a longer unbeaten streak. It is the same situation, but you give Bemidji a pass where you fumed and foamed at the mouth over AFA. You are lambasting Air Force for their schedule, using it as a justification for your disagreement with their ranking last year, and then trying to say Bemidji deserves it based on a schedule with teams of exactly the same caliber.

    I'm not making a judgment on the rankings themselves, I'm saying you have a completely opposite reaction to the exact same situation from last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that your missing the point, AFA didn't play anyone. I broke it down. They had 10 wins against one of the worst teams in college hockey in their 13 game streak.

    Go back and look at the Falcons schedule from last season they feasted on the worst teams in college hockey. The only legit teams in their schedule were BSU and C.C. before they lost to DU.

    BSU has played better teams this season three of the teams that they beat had beaten UAA, Notre Dame and UMD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BSU hasn't played anyone, either. That's MY point. NMU also lost to Tech, who has only one other win.

    If you said you were ok with it because you're a Bemidji homer, that's one thing. But it's not justifiable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just for the Record NMU beat your team as well. So are you guys over rated then? I would tend to think not. The Beavers have played tougher teams than AFA had played up to this point from last season.

    You carrying the flag for AFA? I also get it you don't like BSU. I am not sure why you would call me a BSU homer. I have a lot of respect for their program and the WCHA will find out soon that BSU will be a legitimate team in the WCHA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the record (I thought this was obvious) I thought AFA was overrated.

    I prefer UMD off the polls and under the radar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we should put UMD in the top ten and wearing a huge bullseye. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would bet that almost any team except perhaps Anchorage and Michigan Tech could put up a 7-0-1 record against the likes of Huntsville and Air Force. Just wait, everyone will see soon that its just a figment of imagination that BSU is ranked #7 in the country when they start playing and getting smoked by WCHA teams.

    ReplyDelete