Sunday, October 25, 2009

Grand Forks Herald Publishers' Phony Call for Civility

Cross Posted From Say Anything Blog, where I make my home.

The one thing I didn't say when I first posted this is that I agree with Goon and even Jacobs that there's no reason to be profane. (Nor is there any reason to be rude to a visiting fan.)

Then again when I bring the kids to the game and they do the brilliant original chant, I tell the kids they're saying "Puck the Gophers."



Woman with dunce hat yelling


The Grand Forks Herald's editor and publisher had an column calling for civility to be shown during hockey games. When I read this I thought that I was in another world.

Now it's true that the UND students have gotten a bit profane during the games against the Minnesota Gophers. But then again it's been that way for years and other efforts to do better have been fruitless. So a call by the old radical, Mike Jacobs, isn't probably going to change much.

On the other hand, Mike Jacobs has control of what his reporters say about members of the public. How about some civility from them Mike?

About two weeks ago, his reporter, Tu Uyen Tran referred to people in the Tea Party movement by an obscene act. I haven't seen Mike Jacobs condemn the lack of civility to people living in the same community as he publishes in.

Some may say that it was only on Tran's blog. That's not an excuse because the area voices and the Herald are the same entity and the Herald regularly links to Trans blog on their front page.

I guess when it comes to people like Mike Jacobs civility is something that doesn't count when a liberal is talking about a conservative.

2 comments:

  1. This happens quite a bit at college hockey games. I've noticed it at several different venues in the WCHA and it often occurs when the Badgers, Sioux, or Gophers are the visiting team. I do agree that its not necessary and it should be removed from the process of the game, but attempting to tell college students what to do can be extremely difficult in this kind of setting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post.

    Is it just me or can anyone else access the SiouxSports forum this morning? I can't get to their home page either.

    ReplyDelete