Monday, September 14, 2009

Was Stafford's deal a little low?


Former Fighting Sioux hockey player Drew Stafford was an RFA and just signed a new deal with the Buffalo Sabres. Actually Drew had reported to camp even though he didn't have a deal in place. Almost unheard of in this day and age. I am wondering if I am the only one that thinks Stafford was low balled on his contract? Seems like he would be worth more than he got.
Buffalo, NY (WGR 550) -- The Sabres didn't have to make a decision today if Drew Stafford could practice or not because he signed a two year deal before hitting the ice. The winger will make $1.5 million this season and $2.3 million next year. Stafford was with the practice group today. He said, "I'm very excited to get a deal done. I was here yesterday skating and being with the guys and wasn't sure yet, but we were able to get it done and I couldn't be happier." Lindy Ruff added, "I think a lot of times a player gets caught in a bad spot. I think in his case he knew he had to be here and made a decision. Being in camp for a couple of weeks and being on pace with the other players is important. I think he realized that."

Stafford scored 20 goals in 79 games last season, but was very inconsistent in his play. It's something he's addressing this year, "I've come here with the mind set of trying to get better, trying to do what I can to contribute, work on my consistency most importantly and just wanting to be part of the solution."




BallHype: hype it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment