Sunday, August 30, 2009

Sunday morning reading.


The hockey season is quickly approaching and September is right around the corner, Tuesday is officially beginning of the end of summer and the beginning of the start of hockey season. NHL teams will begin reporting to training camp in September and college hockey team nation wide will begin preseason work outs in preparation for the up coming season that will start in October.

The summer that wasn’t

The big question this summer was; where was summer? With the end of summer that never happened, I kind of feel like I have been cheated because we had 2 days above 90 degrees and very few days in the 80’s, there were a lot of over cast days in the 70’s and 60’s. Global warming, yeah! This morning it was a balmy 48 degrees, it’s not even September yet. If we aren’t careful the ducks and geese will fly south before the start of duck hunting season.

Oh yeah the new buzz word is climate change. What ever it’s called we could use some global warming right about now because I am freezing my ass off this summer. Yes, I am rolling my eyes right now. Can you tell?

It was so warm in August I actually wore a warm jacket that I would normally wore in October while hunting for Canada geese on the 20th of August. While this weather is great for sleeping it’s not all that great for working on the tan or going to the lake. The two times that I made it to the lake the weather was substandard.


Great for growing grass but not golf

While my yard looks great and some weeks I have mowed it twice a week, I didn’t play as much golf as I could have because of the inconsistent weather. Rain good for growing grass, not good for gripping golf clubs. About 4 or 5 times I was going to go golfing and the weather just didn’t cooperate I ended up staying home. That sucks because I bought brand new clubs this season; I figured it couldn’t be the golfer so I decided that it was time to go out and by brand new irons and wood. I mean seriously it had to be the clubs. I was going to replace the putter next if I didn’t start draining some putts.

So alas I went to the golf center and bought the new Taylor Made Burner driver and three woods and X22 Callaway irons. After almost four months of golf I am just finally starting to hit the X22’s the way they were made to hit. The Taylor Made Burners worked right away and were great from the start: so it had to be the old woods.

When you hit an X22 Callaway iron correctly the ball explodes off the club. Like Kevin Costner said in the movie Tin Cup "Let that tuning fork ring in your loins!" While most of us will never break 80 in a friendly game of golf (I have come close to breaking 80 about five times) and only 10% of the golfing public breaks 100, Its shots like that, that will bring most of us weekend hackers back for more.

When I wasn’t perfecting my really bad golf game, I was riding my newly purchased Trek 4500 Mountain bike. As of this day I have rode over 500 miles this summer since the middle of June. The lower temps are very condusive for riding bike.

Moving forward

I always said that when blogging was no longer fun or became too much like work I would give it up. As of this current time Goon’s World is still fun and hasn’t yet ruined my marriage. In other words, I am not living on my deck with my dog sleeping in deck furniture. The mission statement of this blog is to have fun and not take ourselves too seriously. We will leave that to others. Sioux7 and I will continue to cover the Fighting Sioux hockey team or what ever name UND decides to call their sports teams. I will also continue to cover College Hockey, the Minnesota Wild and Boston Bruins. As of right now I will also write a weekly column for the hockey blog the Illegal Curve. Kyle and Richard asked me if I would be interested in writing for them and I accepted. We will see how it goes.

In the last year from August 30, 2008 to August 30, 2009 we have had 392,703 hits, I never in my wildest dreams thought that when I started this blog in December of 2005 I would have almost 790,000 people would read this blog. My wife told me that it was me clicking on my blog about 500,000 times. I told her I don’t have enough time in the day to do that.

Like I said earlier, I do this for fun and I don’t take my self very seriously. I am not going to patrol other blogs and get into pissing contests or start fake fan blogs under false names to rip other bloggers. If there is something to comment on we will address it. I am not out to win a Pulitzer Prize.

I am actually been mulling over a couple of offers I have received and I am leaning towards one that may actually transpire in the next week or two. We will see how it goes, if it happens great, if it doesn’t happen it’s no big deal.

BallHype: hype it up!

5 comments:

  1. Nice... Your back to your speedy 'comment removal' ways.

    So much for not taking it seriously; that didn't last long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. blog owner decided whos comments get to stay and whos get deleted.
    You're not welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course they do!

    ...It is just minorly comical to have you make the self-dillusional claim you don't take this seriously when all of your actions indicate that you do indeed take it quite serioulsy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a difference between being a Troll and having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not sure what trolls do (I am not hip to the internet jive, goon man).

    But, if I am being called a troll, I will have to say that based on the way endorphins seem to be released when I point out some of your baloney, that trolls and fun are probably not mutually exclusive!

    ReplyDelete