Thursday, June 18, 2009

Tim Thomas wins the Vezina Trophy.

Former Vermont Catamounts and current Bruins goalie Tim Thomas was officially announced as the winner of the Vezina trophy tonight. It's a nice finish to a great season for Thomas. In my opinion I believe that Tim Thomas is the best American goalie in the NHL and will be one of the goalies for team USA in the 2010 olympics.
LAS VEGAS -- Tim Thomas has truly received his due.

The Boston Bruins goaltender was awarded the Vezina Trophy on Thursday, beating out Steve Mason of the Columbus Blue Jackets and Niklas Backstrom of the Minnesota Wild in voting by the NHL's 30 general managers.

The honour is especially meaningful to Thomas because it was only a few years ago that he figured his dream of playing in the NHL was dead. He never minds hearing about his rags-to-riches journey.

"It doesn't bother me that other people talk about it," said Thomas. "I'm 35 (years old). At 31, I was thinking to myself that I'm going to be playing in Finland for the rest of my career. This is a long way from where I was. ...

"This is a totally different level that I've been able to reach."

Thomas and partner Manny Fernandez also shared the Jennings Trophy after helping the Bruins post the lowest goals-against average in the NHL.

It was a good season in Beantown.




BallHype: hype it up!

1 comment: