Tuesday, April 14, 2009

3-2-1 points systems?

Our friend Kyle from the illegalcurve.com has an idea for points in NHL hockey games. Personally, I think that the NHL will never take this approach because there would be less parity in the leagues and teams would be out of the races for a playoff spots earlier in the season and would effect attendance and the over-all dollar. The idea does make you think though. Makes you think how long the Wild would have been in the race with this system?
I thought I could gain some traction for a 3-2-1 system of points. Since I am now a lame duck, I doubt this idea will go anywhere but thought I should share it with readers to get some feedback.

The idea is certainly not new or original by any means, but merely stems by the growing dislike of the “loser point”. My proposal was to change the points system for wins to a 3-2-1 system. 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for an overtime win and 1 point for a shootout win. Losing teams would be awarded no points. The idea behind this is to not only eliminate the loser point, but to give teams incentives to win games in regulation. I believe this was the NHL’s original intent when it instituted the shootout and the loser point.

No comments:

Post a Comment