Friday, February 27, 2009

The paint thinner will be flowing in Madison

The blog that Yost Built is reporting that Wisconsin and Michigan will be playing in an outdoor hockey game at Camp Randall the day before the Superbowl. Personally, I think the outdoor games are a mildly entertaining gimmick and your at the mercy of mother nature. I can't imagine sitting at a game a Memorial Stadium in Grand Forks, ND freezing in sub zero weather. I also have to admit that I have watched all the outdoor games to date.
Wisconsin formally invites Michigan Wolverines to play outdoor hockey game at Camp Randall Stadium next February
by Kevin Ryan | The Ann Arbor News
Thursday February 26, 2009, 6:34 PM
The University of Wisconsin is banking on Camp Randall Stadium to draw a world-record crowd next year, but not for football.

The university has tendered a formal contract to the University of Michigan for an outdoor hockey game to be played at the 80,321-seat stadium Feb. 6, and the Wolverines are expected to accept the offer, Michigan associate head coach Mel Pearson said Thursday afternoon.

"We're just sort of reviewing (the contract) right now just to make sure everything checks out OK," Pearson said, adding he couldn't provide more details.

If Camp Randall filled to capacity for the Saturday game, it would shatter the current outdoor attendance record, which involves the Wolverines. Michigan and its biggest hockey rival, Michigan State, played to a 3-3 tie before 74,544 fans at Spartan Stadium on Oct. 6, 2001, in a game dubbed "The Cold War."

4 comments:

  1. this years winter classic was unreal, I will go to another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you went to the one at Wrigley field? It was a perfect day for hockey. I am still not a fan of them though. Like I said I have watched them all but I wasn't as excited about them as a regular game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Madison's climate is slightly less Siberian than Grand Forks Gooner, unless a really cold spell is moving through it won't be too terrible, pretty much the same as the one they did at Lambeau

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a gimmick, but God are they fun to attend. I was at the Cold War, which kicked off this trend of outdoor games, and it was one of my favorite sports memories. Would've been better if they had called the blatant interference on State's tying goal or didn't keep giving them 5 on 3s, but I digress...

    I can't wait for the game next year. 10 minute drive for me :)

    ReplyDelete