Friday, February 27, 2009

INCH CHAT...

Here is the latest from this weeks INCH Chat, my favorite post from Jess Meyers talking about how he is going to be eating crow. I would be glad to cook him some on my grill at home.
John, (Hartford Conn): Thanks for taking our questions INCH! Being from the east coast I dont get to see much of the WCHA. Whats up with the Fighting Sioux and how come year after year they are able to make their second half run? Do they have a chance at a fifth straight Frozen Four?

Jess Myers: Every year we wonder if this will be the time that North Dakota is consistent start to finish, and every year it seems like the second-half surge is the rule in Grand Forks. Although this year a second half turnaround was maybe a bit more expected because NoDak started the season with so many talented, but young, players, and you're seeing the results of their increased maturity in the second half. As for the Frozen Four, I'd be surprised to see more than one WCHA team there, because I think the league is weaker overall. But if I had
--------------------
UND in SLP: St Louis Park, MN: In this week's INCH podcast, you mentioned that UND is winning, and finding ways to win, by playing as a team. In the off season I thought that T J Oshie leaving was a blessing in disguise. The effect of losing JPL and Chorney notwithstanding, Oshie leaving got rid of the Sioux's "star player" notoriety, leaving more room for team cohesion and chemistry, and the inherent success we are seeing. Any thoughts?

Joe Gladziszewski: Absolutely, and thanks for listening to the INCH Podcast. I don't think a team is necessarily helped by losing star players, but it can have a positive impact in re-distributing the roles on the team. The Sioux have done it with an overall team effort and everyone improving to put them in their current position to win the league.
--------------------
Jennifer (Madison, WI): What do you think of the battle in the WCHA? Who's going to win? Who will have home ice? And who will be on the road for playoffs? Should end up being a great Final Five this year!

Jess Myers: I'm eating a lot of crow and admitting that North Dakota is going to win the MacNaughton Cup. Denver is my pick for the Final Five title. I see NoDak, Denver, Wisconsin, Minnesota Duluth and Colorado College at home for the playoffs. And I think the Final Five is always a great tournament (often better than the Frozen Four) but I'd be curious to see how much the attendance would drop in St. Paul if the Gophers don't get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment