Thursday, December 18, 2008

Are the Coyotes going to be the Jets?

I have been running across this story on the internet more frequently as of late. With the Coyotes failing miserably in the Southwestern Desert of the USA, one has to ask themselves if maybe it is time to move the failing club out of Phoenix and back to where it belongs; north of the border in Winnipeg Manitoba.

With the current financial situation of the Coyotes it does kind of make you have to wonder if the Coyotes ownership would move the team back to Winnipeg.

I still remember the day the Jets left Winnipeg in 1996 for the Phoenix area. I had been to one of their last games before they moved and I can remember the bitter sweet feeling I had after another team of mine was taken from me. I too was sad that day the Jets left Winnipeg for bigger and better things. Personally I welcome the move back and I would definitely start going to games if they came back. I should go order my passport now.

Yes, I can't accept that my Winnipeg Jets died. But wait! Maybe my prolonged denial stage wasn't all for naught! First Gary Bettman said the NHL returning to Winnipeg was a possibility. Now, none other than Forbes magazine has put out a list of the 10 sports franchises that are most likely to move. Surprise, surprise - guess who is on the list? The Phoenix Coyotes, of course:

Here are some links to the story.

Seems Puck Daddy was on to something back in September.

Heck it has even been mentioned in the New York Times.

Lets get the MTS centre ready? I guess I can only dream right?

Financial Roughing. It seems that the Coyotes are not the only team that is in big trouble.

Why is the Canadian media obsessed with the Phoenix's failure?

1 comment:

  1. I dislike any franchise movement that has happened since the old Norris/Smythe/Adams/Patrick days. I'm including the move from Quebec to Colorado as well, even though I like the Avalanche (or at least to when I followed the NHL).

    Around '93 is the pinacle of the NHL as far as I'm concerned. The gameplay was fantastic, the number of teams was about right (24 I think), the advertising hadn't happened on every surface in the building, the division/conference names meant something, I could go on for hours.

    So bring back the Jets. While I'm at it bring back everything in that time. Of course '93 is also a happy time because UMD won the WCHA.

    ReplyDelete