Thursday, November 06, 2008

Weekend Matchs (Sioux 7)

Lets recap last weeks games before we move on to this weekends games. UND and UW split in Grand Forks, UAA and MTU split in Houghton, CC took 3pts from DU, UM took 3pts from MSUM, and UMD beat SCSU once.

Now on to this weeks match ups (league records in parentheses)

#13 MSUM (1-2-1) at UAA (2-1-1)
Both of these teams have been playing well in this young season. UAA got a road win last weekend (UAA won 2 WCHA road games last year) so they are showing signs of avoiding the basement this year. Mankato has been also showing signs of a team on the rise, unfortunately for them their record doesn't reflect it, yet. It is a long trip to Anchorage which seems to affect teams. I'm going the safe route here splitsville here we come. (I'm sure LGM won't get to upset with this prediction)


MTU (1-3-0) at UW (1-4-1)
OH BOY, this a very important series for both these teams, especially if their is a sweep. A 1-5 or a 1-6-1 record is large pit to try and dig out of before March. After watching UW play last weekend, I was impressed with the Connelly's play in net, but that was their bright spot. I haven't seen MTU play yet this year but from what I've read they still have their goalie as well. This series is most likely going to be low scoring affairs. I'm betting the farm, okay maybe just my snowbank, on the MTU sweep of UW. (MeanEGirl, this ones for you)


#20 UMD (1-1-1) at #6 DU (2-1-1)
Wow, how bout them Dawgs! They crushed SCSU, boy did I overlook UMD. However, DU is obviously a much better team than SCSU to this point in the season. DU has been scoring lots of goals this season as well as UMD. This has the makings of a great series to watch, these games could be some shout outs, yea haw! Last year they split at Denver and then DU swept them in the first round of the WCHA playoffs. Years to a repeat of last years regular season, 2-pts each, sharing is fun :)



UND (2-2-0) at #1 CC (3-0-1)
It has been awhile since UND has not been ranked, but they are now. CC has lived up their billing so far this season, and is UND using their last few years MO? So-so the first half and then turn it on after the New Year? I see this being a good skating series with a few less penalties then this seasons norm. I'm going to call it a split.


NON-Conference


#5 New Hampshire at #4 Minnesota
According the poll rankings this should be a heckuva series, #4 and #5 going head to head. This series should also give the pollsters an idea of how the WCHA and HE match up this year. I'm thinking a split in this series is appropriate.


Robert Morris at St. Cloud St.
These games might just be what the doctor ordered for SCSU. "Take a cupcake once a day for two days and call me on Sunday," said the good doctor. I think the cupcakes will help out the Huskies, as we all know, dogs like cake. I'm going to say these dogs devour the cupcakes in a couple of big gulps. SCSU sweeps.

6 comments:

  1. the only thing I can hope is that the Sioux are planning a massive second half turn-around. But I think it's foolish to bank on it every single year. You agree, Goon man?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually think we might be able to sweep, if the team decides to play both games. And I doubt we'll be looking to climb out of our hole to anywhere beyond 7th

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope UND can go on the road and get a split. Won't happen, but I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting swept at home by Tech...I should be collecting the Powerball jackpot tomorrow night then as well.

    ReplyDelete