Thursday, November 20, 2008

INCH CHAT...

In case you haven't seen it yet here is the latest from the INCH/ESPN chat.
UND in SLP, St. Louis Park, MN: How important is it for Joe Finley to get back into the Sioux lineup? Barring any assumptions about a second half revival, what will it take for UND to begin pressing the upstart gophers for the top spot in the WCHA?

Jess Myers: Since the biggest question mark for the Sioux in the preseason was goaltending, and because goaltending has proven to be a real problem in some of the games where they've struggled thus far, I see the return of a shut-down defenseman like Finley as vitally important for the Sioux defense. For them to press the Gophers for the top spot, or to even press for a top-five spot, North Dakota is going to need a more consistent every-game effort, unlike their recent play, when they look like completely different teams (some good, some bad) from night to night.

You kind of wonder if Jess Meyers is just saying these silly ridiculous things to get a rise out of Sioux fans? You almost have to wonder if Jess is lonely and wants Sioux fans to send him nasty emails? Please don't send objectionable emails so Jess thinks Sioux fans are a bunch of blood thirsty, knuckle dragging, rabid fans. We can respectfully disagree with him. (I am rolling my eyes)

Just for the record the talent on this years Sioux team compared to 2001-2002 isn't even close. This guy clown is supposed to be the WCHA expert for INCH? The 2000-2001 team was decimated by graduation and lost many key members of its team (Karl Geohring, Wes Dorey, Bryan Lundbohm, Trevor Hammer, Jeff Panzer). The 2001-2002 team was a shell of the team that finished second over all in the NCAA Frozen Four. My question to Jess is; how many games has Jess watched of the Sioux this season? Nothing like flying under the radar folks.
William (Atlanta, GA): The Sioux always seem to start slow (.500 in the winter the last few seasons), then seem to turn on the jets to finnish strong enough for four straight frozen fours. Do you guys forsee the same second half turn around and if not what do they need to do to turn it around this season?

Jess Myers: Interesting that the sioux and Alaska Anchorage split last weekend, as those two teams seem to always be around .500 at the holidays, and then go in polar opposite directions. I don't foresee as big a second-half push by North Dakota this season for some reason. Something just doesn't feel right. I'm reminded of the 2001-02 NoDak team that had no good reason to struggle, but did anyway. These Sioux have some talent, are struggling for some reason.


Check out this question. LOL, Air Force as a frozen four participant. Please! The Air Force Falcons have a nice record by they haven't played ANYONE that is good. Not one team has a winning record. Talk about choking on cup cakes and a couple of the these guys have them penciled as a possible participant in the Frozen Four. They will be lucky to get through their first game in the regional. Same with Princeton.

Yeah, I would love to make some bets with these guys. I do think that B.C., BU and Minnesota are the top teams right now.
Shad (Alexandria, MN): I know it's early but just for fun who do you have in the frozen four this year?

Joe Gladziszewski: Oh good ... this question already. Let's throw it around the horn ...

Jess Myers: Making predictions like these before Thanksgiving are guaranteed to make you look and feel foolish somewhere down the line. But if the Frozen Four were being held this weekend, I think the four teams vying to get an audience with President Obama would be Boston University, Denver, Notre Dame and New Hampshire, with Air Force as my favorite dark horse.

Jeff Howe: I'll go with BU, BC, Air Force and Colorado College.

Mike Eidelbes: Put me down for Boston College, Boston University, Minnesota, and Notre Dame ... for now.

Joe Gladziszewski: ... and I'll start with Minnesota and Denver, gimme Notre Dame, and sure -- Princeton.

14 comments:

  1. But we are blood thirsty, knuckle dragging, rabid fans!!! And proud of it!!! GO SIOUX!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say I don't really see anything not accurate with his first answer. This isn't the 2001-2002 team, but there's no question they're not as talented as last year's team or as some other teams around the conference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some buffoon said that we were blood thirsty. Yep I am...

    Sioux15 I don't think that is all that true, UND held its ground against C.C. and to say the Sioux aren't talented isn't accurate. Might not be as experienced but there is just as much talent on this years team as last years. One could make the argument that the Sioux are faster.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well they probably are faster, but Eidsness is no Lamoureux, at least not yet, and they don't have an Oshie out there. I think Hextall has potential and Gregoire is very good, and all in all their offense is probably as good or maybe even better than they were last year, but defensively they give a lot back. I think they miss Bina quite a bit too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sioux15 I think people are pulling the pin way too fast on this team. We need to give the guys some slack.

    It is very early and the teams winning now might be peaking. UND isn't hitting their stride right yet, but they are pretty close to be a good hockey team. Heck your team just has to be top 5 by the end of the season.

    I don't get why people think Eidsness isn't that good? Lammy wasn't that great his first year either. Eidsness has better numbers than the goalie that won the national title last season. Eidsness has better numbers than John Muse. That isn't too bad in my book.

    The same people that are jumping off the band wagon right now will be running to get back on the band wagon when the Sioux go on a run. I don't care what some half wit pundit thinks about UND, its pretty much documented that the INCH writers are Sioux haters and a Bulldog fan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I'm not comparing Eidsness to Lamoureux's first year, I'm comparing him to Lamoureux last year, seeing as we're comparing the last two seasons. And I wouldn't say I'm hopping off the bandwagon. I just don't think they're that good. Everyone has a down year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We can put a beer on it if you would like? I don't think the Sioux are as bad as people think they are. I see things this year earlier that I didn't see last season. UND is much better cycling the puck out of the zone. Sure we don't have Oshie but we replaced the OTHER guys that left with more talent. Toews is going to break out soon, you can see it in his play. Hardly anyone has talked about him yet.

    I am comparing Eidsness to the other goalies we have had as of late, I think he is comparable to Parise as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sure we can put a beer on it...just don't make me buy you anything too expensive if I lose :)

    What would you like the wager to be? Whether or not they make the NCAA's?

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Sioux will make the NCAA, I will bet a beer on that one.

    I am positive I already have my room for the final five reserved as well...

    Tnhey will probably have the PWR ranking to get into the NCAA if they play about 10 games over .500.
    Have faith is my motto.

    Turst me if the Sioux finish in 7th place It will get ugly in this town real quick.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops, "THEY".

    I drink Miller light so nothing expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sioux15 already said what I was going to say. What is incorrect about what Jess said? He said goaltending was a real problem in SOME games and they need a more CONSISTENT effort, that they have had some very rough outings and some good ones.

    I don't understand how you could argue against what Jess is saying. And he said they WERE talented, not they weren't. You have no valid criticism! READING COMPREHENSION!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I must say I am a little on the fence as far as the sioux and the tourney go. Although they get pretty lucky not having to go to Mariucci, unless I can't read a schedule.

    But you have to figure that down the stretch they have Denver, @St. Cloud, Mankato, @UAA, CC and @ Wisky. That's pretty tough when you consider that they could be fighting St. Cloud and Wisconsin for one of the last home spots and both of those series are on the road, and CC could be in a MacNaughton dogfight, and I honestly don't know what to make of Anchorage this year. They look better than in past years and that can't be an easy road trip to make.

    The good news is though that even if the Sioux finish in 7th or potentially even lower if they win their playoff series and then 2 out of 3 in the Final Five they'd probably get in the NCAA tourney.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nothing like flying under the radar.

    RWD, UND has way more talent then the 2001-2002 team. It isn't even close. I know because I sat through each and every painful game that season. The team speed this years team has is incredible.

    House I don't see SCSU and Wisconsin finishing ahead of the Sioux. I can also see UND finishing ahead of MSUM too. Just my non expert opinion.

    We will see that is why they play the games.

    ReplyDelete