Monday, November 24, 2008

Goalie equipment to change again.

I saw this story over on the Illegal Curve. This is really good news. The equipment is still too big and it should be smaller.
More changes coming for goaltending equipment.
If you think your favorite NHL goaltender is letting in more 5-hole goals this season, you might be right.

It's a result of rule changes this season that were agreed to by the NHL Players' Association. Goaltending equipment is a little smaller and a little different this season, and will continue to be downsized in the coming years.

While the NHL is committed to protecting goalies and the adjustments are being made with their safety in mind, the League has deemed that equipment should not be any bigger than it needs to be for protection. Equipment will be proportional to the size of the goalie.

Bottom line: Equipment is there to protect, not make saves.

6 comments:

  1. Bad news for undersized goalies.

    I'm just saying, not everyone can be as big as Luongo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But all we need to do to get Luongo out of the league is increase the size of the nets. I remember him having a hissy fit about it. I have a feeling many goalies will have hissy fits, because goalies like to whine. I don't have much sympathy for them, 5'6" forwards aren't usually successful in the NHL because of their lack of size, so midget goalies shouldn't be any different, if they can have pads a million times bigger than they need them, why can't anyone else?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boosh That is just it, if you look at the goalies from now and 10 years ago it isn't even funny.

    I say let Luongo have a hissy fit and good riddance. I would love to see these guys play with the equipment goalies used 10-15 years ago. Its silly how much bigger it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can say that the proper equipment to protect me would be a 4 x 6 sheet of plywood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the hottest topic in the NHL right now.. I don't know what the right answer is? Maybe they should just measure the tallest goalie who's dressed this year in the NHL, I think it's Ben Bishop for the Blues (6'7") See what kind of padding would be the minimal length and width. Then that would be your standard... Allowing the little guys plenty of room length and width.

    I think the pads are out of control too, but you can't compare players in the year 2008 to players in 1978. The players today would walk all over the players in the past. Skating faster, shooting harder. I guess that's the best I can come up with. No matter what a guy 6'7" is going to take up more room then a guy 5'7" that's just the nature of it..


    Unless your Marc Ranfranz, who plays with the Spirit of the Warrior, it doesn't matter what size his pads are.

    ReplyDelete