Saturday, September 06, 2008

Eklund on Mark Parish

This is turning out to be a pretty interesting story. I hope Parrish catches on with another team and I am sure it is just a matter of time before he signs on the dotted line.
First on Parrish.

This is a guy that WILL get signed. Two of the three teams that I have heard associated with Parrish have been in #13 Limbo and are about to get out of it. I have always loved Parrish because of the guy's character. He is real and gritty and it must be KILLING him to have to wait for a decision from a player getting offered 20 million.

In John Shipley's article in today's Twin City's Pioneer Press Parrish's fervor comes through clearly...."it's about going out and playing the game that I love — doing the best I can for a team to win a Stanley Cup, which is what I wanted to do here, just doing the best I can. I accepted a role and didn't complain about the role I was in, even though I wasn't comfortable in it and wasn't happy with it. But I did it with a smile because I wanted to win, and that's all I've ever wanted to do."

He was traded to the Islanders from Florida in the deal that sent Jokinen and Luongo to Florida...often referred to as the worst deal of the century.

Back in 2001 while playing with the Islanders Parrish got in a ton of trouble when reacting to the fans on the Island booing the team by saying, "If they're going to boo us like that,'' Parrish said Tuesday, ''we'd appreciate it if they'd stay home, to be honest with you."

He apologized a few days later saying ''I did not mean to offend anyone...The words came out before I could pull them back.''

The next season he came back with 30 goals and 30 assists. He went on to be the Isles All-Star, the team captain, and a fan favorite.

Trust me when I say that to go from being a part of that trade and saying what he said, to becoming a FAN FAVORITE in the New York City Sports Scene tells you all you need to know about Parrish.

2 comments:

  1. Parrish is a stud. I grew up watching him at Bloomington Jefferson, he's an asset regardless of where he goes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parrish will catch on with another team I think it may take right up to the time the NHL season opens up.

    ReplyDelete