Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Commodore feels big deal is justified.

Here is a nice article on former Sioux Mike Commodore. The Blue Jackets have taken some heat on the size of Big Mike's contract. I personally feel that Commodore is worth the money he is being paid. I have seen worse players in the league that are being paid just as much or more. I also think Commodore is a better defenseman that Jeff Finger; just my my humble opinion.
He's worth the 'fro
By ERIC FRANCIS

Mike Commodore has always stood out from the crowd.

For years it revolved largely around his 6-foot-4 frame, his orange afro and his engaging personality.

However, shortly after the free agency free-for-all opened this summer, he distanced himself even further from the masses with a contract signing that was the talk of the hockey world.

Four years after making a name for himself in Calgary during the playoffs as a useful, if not one dimensional, spare part, the 28-year-old defenceman signed a five-year, $18.75 million deal with Columbus.

Often mentioned alongside the four-year/$14 million deal Jeff Finger signed in Toronto, many have cited Commodore's pact as the perfect example of how reckless and insane NHL GMs have once again become.

Not only did it shine a rare spotlight on a stay-at-home blueliner who has, in fact, come a long way the last three years, but it put the two-time Stanley Cup finalist in an odd position where he will almost undoubtedly have to defend the deal at every turn.

"To be honest, I really don't care what the public thinks," said the local folk hero who spent the latter half of his summer in Calgary where he bought a condo overlooking the 'Dome at which his NHL career started.

"My buddies told me (TSN's) Pierre McGuire was running his mouth off and I couldn't care less. Whether I deserve it or not is not up to guys like Pierre McGuire. I've worked hard to get where I am. The market is at where it's at. It's not like I was going to say, 'no I'll just take one-and-a-half.' "

Fact is, after being traded by Calgary to Carolina four years ago, Commodore not only won a Stanley Cup with the 'Canes but has developed into a player that had seven teams interested in him July 1, including two that drove his price right up. And while he feels extremely privileged, he said the $3.75 million he'll make annually is close to the number he was expecting and is not out of whack

1 comment:

  1. He needs a big deal to pay for upkeep on that mess on his head

    ReplyDelete