Sunday, August 24, 2008

14 year old commits to the Badgers.

I think this is a must read, I mean really; most 14 year old kids are not even usually playing high school hockey yet, well in most cases. If the are on the varsity they are freshman. I think the NCAA needs to start looking into what age is TOO young to commit to a scholarship. So what if this kid doesn't develop? Does Wisconsin still have to honor their commitment and still give him a scholarship if he stops developing as a hockey players? I would imagine not. There are going to be other question if it still hands off for other colleges to make a pitch to recruit him? Don Lucia has been on record as saying he would like to see the gentleman's agreement go away. These are legitimate questions.

Q & A with 14-year-old hockey recruit
By Mark Stewart
Thursday, Aug 21 2008, 09:07 AM

Madison - Last night, I spoke with Jordn Schmaltz, the 14-year-old hockey player who created a buzz by committing to the Badgers before he started high school. It was a brief conversation, but he came across as a solid, mature kid. He didn't give a lot of long answers but seemed comfortable talking to a reporter. I don't know what I would have said if someone interviewed me when I was 14.

Does that make him ready to choose a college? Time will tell. Here is what he and his father, Mike, had to say.

Jordan Schmaltz

Q: It's not often that a 14-year-old commits to a college. Why now? What made you decide that this was the right time to get your college choice out of the way?

A: I just felt I really liked the campus and I really liked the coaches as well. I thought this would be a perfect fit for me to go to college.

Q: Being from Verona, are you a fan of the program? Do you follow them closely?

A: I have season tickets.

Q: How long has Wisconsin shown interest in you?

A: (Since) the national camp for players. It's supposed to be the best 200 kids go to this camp and at the Central District tryout is when I think they started to look at me. That was early May.

Q: Did you commit to UW after making an unofficial visit?

A: Yeah on Friday, August 15.

Q: Describe your playing style and strengths.

A: I'm an offensive defenseman. I like to join the play. I can quarterback a power play. I'm a pretty good skater. That is how I'd describe myself.

Q: Did the way this whole process unfolded surprise you? What were your thoughts when UW offered you a scholarship?

A: After the season where we actually got second in nationals, I didn't think I would be committing to a college before I started high school, but I guess it happened. I was pretty surprised.

Q: What has been people's reaction to your decision to play for UW and deciding so early?

A: I guess they were kind of shocked. They didn't know what committed means. Are you actually going to play? Does it really mean anything? Kind of shocked is what I'd put it as.

Q: Considering there is so much time between now and the time you'd sign at UW, how committed is your commitment? Some times players commit and then have a change of heart or they give what is called a soft commitment. How strong is your commitment?

A: This is where I want to go and I don't think I'd ever back out of it.

Q: Had you any other scholarship offers at this point?

A: I took a visit to North Dakota. Notre Dame I was actually going to go on a visit until Wisconsin had offered me a scholarship. So I was just going to see how every campus was but I toured UW. I just felt this was the place that I want to go

2 comments:

  1. Goon,

    You left out the portion of the article where the interview continues with his dad who states that the Sioux could not make an offer when he was in ND because it was an unofficial visit but "They just kind of let us know that if Jordan came out and visited the school at that time they would offer him a scholarship."

    Also according to Baggot at the WI State Journal that WI was not interested in making an offer to someone that young but when news that visits were being scheduled to Notre Dame and North Dakota there was a change of heart. I assume they were much more fearful of your beloved Sioux than the Irish for the simple reason of such a good program, but also that this kids dad has some type of relationship with Mr. Eades.

    As a Badger fan I just hope he ends up in Madison some day as WI obviously sees something in young guys as the 3 15 year olds that they offerred to in the past were all top 10 picks (Skille, Turris, and Gagner)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Bucky good call I read that, that is why I included the link, it was such a long article I didn't post it. I suppose I could go back and post that part as well...

    ReplyDelete