Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Vandy and Chorney at the Oilers Development Camp

Here is a nice story and video of North Dakota Fighting Sioux hockey players defenseman Taylor Chorney (former) and forward Chris Vande Velde (current). The story is a nice read and portrays both kids in a positive light. Both kids class acts in my opinion. It's too bad the Fighting Sioux are losing Taylor Chorney and I imagine that the Sioux will probably lose Chris Vande Velde after next season. That seems to be the modus operandi for most higher draft choices now.

It was particularly memorable considering Chorney’s father Marc suited up for the Sioux from 1978 through 1981.

“I grew up a Fighting Sioux fan my whole life and for me to be able to play a couple seasons there and get to know the people around the town of Grand Forks was a great experience.

“Everything I did up there was a positive experience. If I could spend another five years there I probably would. College is a fun time but it's probably best for me that I get everything squared away here, move on and start my career as a professional.”
-----snip-----
For Chorney, this is his second year at Development Camp but first with fellow Fighting Sioux teammate Chris Vande Velde.

“Having Vandy around is big. He's a good guy, I got to know him a lot this year. He's a good hockey player, too and I think he'll be a part of this organization down the road too.”

Vande Velde made huge strides at UND putting up career numbers with 15 goals and 32 points in 43 games to rank third on the team in his sophomore season.

“I played with more confidence and was put on better lines,” said Vande Velde of his success. “I was playing with TJ Oshie and Ryan Duncan who are elite players. That helped as well. I was playing with more confidence, got more points, scored more goals. It was a fun year. “

Vande Velde also played on the first power play unit and killed penalties as part of his added responsibilities. He had three goals and nine points in 38 games in his freshman season the year before.
(Read the whold article here)

No comments:

Post a Comment