Thursday, April 03, 2008

HeidiSioux on the Hobey Hat Trick.


YOU’VE GOT TO BE KIDDING
I have been harping all year that Nathan Gerbe didn’t deserve to be a Hobey finalist because of his on ice dirty play and was all ready to blast the world if he was included. I swallowed my tongue when the committee included TJ and figured if the committee could include TJ despite his off ice incident, then I would overlook Gerbe’s suspension from his league. After Gerbe was included in the Hobey Hat Trick yesterday and JPL was excluded I threw up my tongue.

On the banner of the (Hobey Baker website) it says “Character Builds Excellence” and the (criteria) for the award is as follows:

Hobey Baker Memorial Award Criteria
1. Candidates must exhibit strength of character both on and off the ice.
2. Candidates must contribute to the integrity of the team and display outstanding skills in all phases of the game.
3. Consideration should be given to scholastic achievement and sportsmanship.
4. Candidates must comply with all NCAA rules: be full time students in an accredited NCAA college or university; and complete 50% or more of the season.

Gerbe was suspended by the commissioner of his league, Joe Bertagna, for an on ice incident during a game with Merrimack. Commissioner Bertagna is quoted as saying:

“"While a suspension might not have been forthcoming on last night's actions alone, this is not the first time this season that I have been made aware of inappropriate behavior from Nathan," said Bertagna.”Given the fact that he had already been put on notice, I felt that supplemental discipline was in order in this instance."

After reading this statement by Gerbe’s league commissioner I truly have to wonder if Gerbe meets the criteria of “Integrity”, “Strength of Character ON the ice” and “Sportsmanship” spelled out on the website. This was not a one time deal – the suspension came because of a pattern of behavior, not a single lapse in judgment.

Gerbe is a good player, probably one of the best in the country and has good numbers (I would still take TJ over him though). However, to include him and to exclude Lammy in the hat trick is outrageous. While I didn’t expect TJ to be in the hat trick, I certainly thought that JPL would. Lammy is every bit the player that Gerbe is. Not only did he lead the country in goals against (1.6424), save percentage (.936) and shutouts (6), he played the toughest schedule in the country and allowed 2 or fewer goals in 30 of the 41 games he played this year. To cap off his spectacular season numbers he had an outstanding regional tournament holding the two opponents to 3 goals total and a save percentage of .963 on 82 shots. He also single handedly kept the Sioux in the game vs. Wisconsin until they could find their scoring touch. Oh yeah, he doesn’t have any off OR on ice incidents to knock him out.

I am also not real high on Ryan Jones. He has good numbers, but I have never gotten the feeling that he can completely take over and control a game’s outcome like Porter and Lammy can (and maybe Gerbe – that hurts to say) and like Duncan could last year. But Jones being included does not turn my stomach the way Gerbe does.

For the life of me I can’t find any logical reasoning for leaving JPL out of the hat trick. As I don’t think this was an anti-UND or anti-WCHA choice the only thing I can come up with is it was just stupidity.

21 comments:

  1. BECAUSE HE IS A DIVER! A FLOPPER! A DRAMA QUEEN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because he looks like a pedophile.

    Also, Sioux fans shouldn't be bitching about this when Hak is the biggest joke for being nominated for the Penrose. Hello! Flipping off a ref on camera and being suspended? Getting into it with Eaves? Getting into it with a student fan? NEED I GO ON?!?

    I suppose though all the Sioux fans will put on their green tinted glasses and make up reasons why it's OK for Hak to be nominated for an award with a shaded year...but not this player.

    (for the record, I don't think the guy should have made the cut either...but I also think Sioux fans shouldn't throw stones when they live in a glass house)

    Also, I LOVE that Lammy was cut. Made be giggle, and giggle..and giggle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and I forgot...the Sioux fanbases argument of why this kid should not be part of the hattrick is EXACTLY why Oshie shouldn't have even been nominated. ARRESTED for chripes sake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, not all is bad the Sioux are in the Frozen Four and Miami is not so Jones can have Hobey Hat Trick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LetsGoMavs, I'm pretty sure that all FF coaches are automatically nominated for the Penrose. Will Hak win? Probably not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Green goggles are now on. Heck I never took them off... :)

    I was under that impression that all the coaches in the Frozen Four would be nominated for the Penrose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The reason why he didnt make the 3 Im thinking is because Bachman was player of year and 1st team goalie for WCHA, and took a lot of votes away from JPL... which kinda sucks but that is what happens when you have a lot of great players in one league, and 1 great player in the other 5 leagues.. A lot of individual awards will be lost due to the absurd strength of the WCHA! Go SIOUX!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! We've found a very rare specimen here; a true Mankato Mavericks fan.

    I went to Mankato for a few years and even graduated from Mankato. After spending my first couple collegiate years at UND, I can say with utmost certainty that Mankato's hockey fan base is a joke.

    Most weekends, it was difficult to find someone who even knew who the Mavs were playing, let alone find somebody to go to the game with me.

    Good for you, LetsGoMavs, for being one of those rare true Maverick fans. However, I have to challenge your assertion that Sioux fans shouldn't bitch about Gerbe making the hat trick because Hakstol was nominated for the Penrose. If you want to bitch about Hakstol's nomination, then go ahead and do so, but that doesn't change the fact that Gerbe doesn't deserve to be in the hat trick and JPL got screwed hard.

    Also, your comment about Oshie is irrelevant because the point made about Gerbe is not that he was nominated at all, but that he made the hat trick, which Oshie did not.

    At any rate, the Sioux are in the FF, the Wild won their division, my girlfriend is hotter than yours, and it's Friday...life is sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lets Go Mavs is a woman so I am not sure she has a girl friend. That being said, here are the candidates for the penrose this year. Jutts from MSU-M made it as well...

    2007-08 AHCA Men's Ice Hockey Division One Coach of the Year Finalists
    Red Berenson, Michigan*#
    Guy Gadowsky, Princeton*
    Dave Hakstol, North Dakota#
    Jeff Jackson, Notre Dame#
    Troy Jutting, Minnesota State*
    Brian Riley, Army*
    Tom Serratore, Bemidji State*
    Kevin Sneddon, Vermont*
    Jerry York, Boston College#@


    * Conference Coach of the Year
    # NCAA "Frozen Four" Participant
    @ Previous Winner of the Spencer Penrose Award

    ReplyDelete
  10. Krangodance- Yes, as Goon mentioned I am a female (a straight one at that)...so I don't have a girlfriend. So, I'll let you win the argument on your girlfriend being hotter than mine:)

    I am a true Mavericks fan. I bleed purple! The Mavericks fanbase is growing alot since you went to school here (I'm assuming) so you would be surprised now to come to the games and see the dedicated fans. You should make the trip sometime. Granted we have a LONG way to go...and many are fair weather fans...but it's a start!

    My point on the arguments that the Sioux fans are making is that they're talking out of both sides of their mouths on the issues. They fully believe Hak and Oshie are/were legit candidates but that Gerbe isn't. Personally, I don't think any player or coach that has had any major discipline issue this year should even be nominated. These awards are supposed to be for the ELITE people..as in play/coaching, behaviors, role models, etc. Being disciplined pretty much goes against everything these awards stand for. Even nominating people that have been "in trouble" this year is a disgrace to the award! It really cheapens it. That's just my opinion though.

    Goon- did you really have to bring up the Jutting thing?!? Don't remind me!! Ugg. If he wins it (which I doubt) it may just be enough to put me over the edge and rip off my own arm and beat myself with it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amy all of the coaches swear at the refs read Lucia's lips as he is working over the officials, if you think other wise I have some lake front property in Devils Lake to sell you.

    The day we met Greg Sheppard in the Green Mill in Grand Forks, he said Jutting is a good coach when he worries less about yelling at the refs and more about coaching.

    As far as the Hobey goes I think Lammy should have been on in the final three but like I said Porter's name is already on the throphy it has been since the season started, so I am past it. It didn't matter what anyone else did and it sounded like I was dead on in that prediction. It is like the year when Kessel won the ROY, why even vote?

    As far as Gerbe goes he is a TROLL... I hope Finley smacks him around in the Semi final game.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Goon- have I EVER said other coaches don't swear? I don't know if you're making reference to my comments about Hak or Jutts. First on Hak..swearing is one thing...flipping the bird is another. That's only ONE of the things he did to be a disgrace this year.

    On Jutts..his swearing and going off in previous years has gone WAY beyond other coaches. He needs to get a grip. I gave him props this year for holding it together and I too have noted on my blog that by him having to behave, it calms the team and makes them play better. Also, since he had to behave more too (probationary contract) he couldn't be such a jerk to the players...which also makes a difference in the team's performance. However, once he gets his real contract in July, you will see the same old Jutts back because he's too narcissistic to think he needs to make permanent changes!! Ugg. You only like him because you don't have to deal with him as YOUR coach!! If he can make some of this years changes a permenant thing, I'll lighten up on him. Also though he needs to change up his crappy power play. Hasn't worked for years with a variety of different players. However, instead of thinking the play is bad...he just blames the players. Ugg.

    Anyways...there's my rant for the day:)

    Also, don't be counting on your Sioux to win the FF. They're going to choke. Yep, you heard it here first!! :)

    Oh...one more thing. You didn't really think they were going to even let a WCHA player make the hat trick did you? Come on Goon! Politics!! If they let the WCHA get too much stuff (spots in the NCAA playoffs, HB awards, etc) then all hell will break loose with the other conferences. Come on, you KNOW this!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now I can go on with my day because I have had my LGM rant for the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. "my girlfriend is hotter than yours" is something I like to throw into blog posts sometimes because I think it's funny. It's meant to be directed toward the reader, not a particular person, but I can see how I opened things up for confusion since so much of the rest of my post was directed toward one person.

    I hope Mankato hockey is growing in popularity. I think they have a good team every year. If they got the backing of the University and the student body, they could be great.

    My sister lives in Mankato and her name is Amy. You're not her are you, LetsGoMavs? That would a humorous turn of events.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Krangodance- I doubt I'm your siste. I only have one brother and he doesn't even like hockey and thinks my blog is stupid. So, unless he's had a major change of heart I'm thinking you are not him:)

    The girlfriend part is funny. I figured it was something you threw in once in a while for dramatic effects. NICE!

    If you went to MSU why aren't you a Maverick fan dammit?!?

    I agree..the university and the community need to back the hockey program more. It's getting better but still has a LONG way to go. Hoepefully it only gets better with time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Krangodance, cool... :) When I was younger we used to tell people their mother wears army boots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. LetsGoMavs - I am a maverick fan, but they're a distant second to the Sioux. I was a Sioux fan first and I believe it's physically and emotionally impossible to escape Sioux fanhood; it's much too strong.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amy, your welcome to join the UND bandwagon anytime if you would like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ha Ha Goon! You know that Sioux are the last team I would EVER cheer for. Never in a million years!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amy comeon admit closet Sioux fan right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Come on Goon! What have you been smoking to even be able to type that?!?

    You know I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER cheer for the Sioux. Ick. Just the thought of them makes me ill.

    ReplyDelete