Thursday, March 27, 2008

Sweet 16 (Sioux 7)

The first round of NCAA playoffs get underway this weekend with the four regionals.
I'm not going to go into who got into the tourney and who did not, I'm going to give you my "predictions" as to each brackets outcome.


WEST

1. New Hampshire v 4. Notre Dame

I've seen the Wildcats play at Grand Forks this year, so I got that little bit of insight. UNH has played well against the top teams in the country this year, and the Fighting Irish have not faired so well against the top teams in the CCHA. I thing the Irish should stick to something they do better, like drinking. And after this game they might feel punch drunk. Wildcats 4-1

2. Colorado College v 3. Michigan St.

MSU plays a defensive style hockey game and tries to capitalize off of other teams mistakes. BUT, they are now going to have to play on the BIG sheet of ice (200x100) compared to the standard NHL size (200x85). MSU has a 2-2-0 record on the big sheets, with wins at Alaska and loses at Northern Michigan U. Both teams have good goalies, but I think CC has too much speed on the big sheet for Sparty to handle. The Tigers maul Sparty, mmm, Sparty the other white meat, 3-1 Tigers.

West Championship Game -
UNH v CC - I think the bigger felines will win this battle Tigers 3, Wildcats 2.


MIDWEST

1. North Dakota v 4. Princeton

I don't think people are giving the Tigers much of chance in this game... It's Princeton's second appearance in the tourney and UND's 23rd appearance (Engelstad's old number). The Ivy Leaguers will play to their best abilities, but unfortunately that won't cut the cheese in Wisconsin-land. Sioux 3-0.

2. Denver v 3. Wisconsin

I bet UW is loving this, a shot at DU again, after that goal incident earlier this year. DU has been playing well the past month or so, but haven't had any down time. UW had a week of rest, could be good, could be bad, but they are rested. Since the Badgers have home ice and DU has owned the Kohl Center (11-1-2 v UW) I have consulted the magic snowman. He said global warming has forced him to lose weight and that the Pioneers are going to Denver, THIS Sunday. UW 3-1.

Midwest Championship Game
UND v UW - The Sioux head to Denver, too try for NCAA title No. 8 in '08.


EAST

1. Michigan v 4. Niagara

Honestly, do I have to say anything on this match-up... Okay, the Purple Eagles should be placed on the endangered species list, 'cause the Wolverines are going to make them extinct from this tourney. UM 6-1 winners.

2. St. Cloud State v 3. Clarkson

The Huskies suffered a minor set back by losing in the play-in game to Minnesota. But, that also allowed them rest and time to re-focus their efforts. Clarkson needs to stay out of the sin-bin if they want to win the game. This will be SCSU 7th appearence in the tourney, with no wins to show for it. All that changes this year as the Huskies bite turns out to be worse than their bark. SCSU 4-2

East Championship Game
UM v SCSU - The Huskies got one win, but as Porky Pig says, "That's All Folks", UM moves on 3-2.


NORTHEAST

1. Miami v 4. Air Force
People say UM is a team that eats up cupcakes, but they are playing a non-cupcake team this week. AFA has given some top teams runs for their money and taken some cash from a few of them, can lighting strike twice... YES The Falcons will take out the RedHawks, in a battle of birds, in my upset special. AFA 3-2

2. Boston College v 3. Minnesota
(Ah, both teams a Sioux fan loves to hate, UM our WCHA arch-rival, and BC our out of conference arch-rival.) Both teams have been playing better hockey as of late, but I have a favorite in this game. UM has still struggled to score goals, and BC has some scoring prowess. I say this is like nature, Eagles kill gophers, hey, that's just the way it is. BC wins 3-2

Northeast Championship Game
BC v AFA - The second battle of the birds, the Eagles fly off to Colorado


THE FROZEN FINAL FOUR
MICHIGAN, NORTH DAKOTA, BOSTON COLLEGE, COLORADO COLLEGE

7 comments:

  1. You are probably going to get some hate mail for those predictions. Mine aren't much different, because I have Michigan, UNH B.C. and UND in the Frozen Four but I don't have Miami losing to a cup cake like Air Force.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh well, I can use the hate-mail to keep me warm :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. UW actually doesn't usually play well after having a week of rest. They get out of it or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goon,

    I must admit I had the same prediction of the midwest and northeast as you, but that means we have BC vs UND yet again in the semis!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah i was thinking the same thing, everything this time of year is a crap shoot. The way the Gophers are playing they could actually make it to the frozen four. If I was Miami I would be very worried right now. I think of the number one seeds they are the most vulnerable.

    I am actually getting tired of the eagles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yet another person underrating Miami. tsk tsk. Also I think Wisconsin over Denver is a little ambitious, perhaps a little wishful thinking thinking that they're easier for UND to beat?

    http://collegehockey.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stephen

    I don't think Miami is overrated, I think some people are under-rating Air Force. AFA also has the potential for Ehn returning for this game. I just don't see UM blowing out AFA.

    Look at last years Frozen Four, three number 3 seeds, and a number 2 seed...

    If it makes you feel better I do own a hoodie that says RedHawks on it, BUT it is for the minor league baseball team here in Fargo :)

    ReplyDelete