Monday, January 21, 2008

Former SCSU Husky Tim Conboy on his first NHL game

This is a funny story about Tim Conboy's first NHL game. This story is like it was straight out of the movie Slap shot. SCSU hockey writer Kevin Allenspach interviews Tim Conboy on his first NHL game.

On his first time on NHL ice: "It was during a TV timeout that they first sent me out there," Conboy said. "There was a faceoff in our zone and so I skate down and take my position. (Colorado enforcer) Scott Parker looks over at me and he says 'Conboy, we're gonna go.' I'm like, 'No, I'm not going to fight you. This is my first NHL game.' He's like 'It doesn't matter, we're gonna go.' He even moved over to where he was lined up next to me and said 'We're gonna go, whether you like it or not.' We were winning 1-0 but they were out shooting us pretty bad at that point. It actually helped (having the fight) because I got five minutes in the box to settle down my nerves. I re-cooped a bit and was fine after that."

On the fight: "I didn't do too bad, but he clearly won," Conboy said. "I got a few licks in, but all I can say is I'm alive to talk about it and I don't have any broken bones. The rest of the game went pretty well, but it was bittersweet. I'd have given up anything I did for a win."

On where he goes from here: "It's out of my hands whether they'll bring me back soon or ever, but I'm going to use this experience as something to strive for," Conboy said.

No comments:

Post a Comment