Monday, December 24, 2007

The best proposal so far.


After reading this letter to the editor in today's issue of the Grand Forks Herald I believe this is the best solution that I have seen so far for resolving the Fighting Sioux nick name dispute. Let’s bring the issue of the Fighting Sioux name to a vote; I am talking about the members of the Sioux tribe, not just the tribal council. If after the vote; the members of Sioux tribe don't vote in favor of the fighting Sioux name, then retire the Fighting Sioux name for good. I honestly believe the Standing Rock tribal government does not really want to have a vote because they are affraid that they would end up losing the vote.
FORT TOTTEN, N.D.- I would like to take a moment to speak up on the UND “Fighting Sioux” nickname and logo.

In my opinion, this issue is beginning to get out of hand. I've spoken to many people out here, and I can honestly say that there are many tribal members who support the nickname and wish for UND to be able to retain it.

I myself am honored that a university has a nickname that addresses the Sioux as fighters. For many centuries, that is exactly what we were - fighters. Now, it looks like we are in for another fight.

For the first 32 years of my life, I lived off the Spirit Lake Reservation. I fought for my heritage and for who I was that entire time. It's unbelievable the amount of racism alive in this world.

I think the nickname is a petty issue. When I was younger, my grandmother used to tell me a saying that I think should be said now: “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me.” I've been called everything in the book when I was growing up, mean and hurtful things, by almost every race on this earth.

But never did anyone say, “You're nothing but a Fighting Sioux.” That's probably because it was true; and besides, it wouldn't have hurt me at all because there is nothing derogatory about that statement. I believe that's why I'm not offended by the nickname or the logo.

The NCAA weighed in about two years ago when it listed UND's nickname as “hostile or abusive.” I don't believe it's either of those things. I find nothing hostile or abusive about the nickname.

From my understanding, the nickname was accepted by our tribal leaders several decades ago. “In 1968, says (Peter) Johnson, the Grand Forks Herald reported that a delegation from the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation traveled to UND to ‘adopt' its president into the tribe and give UND the right to sue the name for its athletic teams,” the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported not long ago. Who are we to say that those leaders were wrong?

Perhaps they saw something that people today are missing about the honor of letting UND use such a nickname.

I agree with giving the final decision on the nickname to the Sioux tribes, but I don't believe that a select few council members can speak on behalf of the entire population of either reservation.

The only true and fair way to settle this issue would be a referendum on both reservations - a referendum in which each and every individual would have the chance to vote. A select few should not be allowed to claim that what they want also is the general consensus of the whole.

Only an open vote on both reservations will allow all voices to be heard. And whatever the outcome of that vote is, that is the resolution that should be passed by the tribal councils because that would be the true voice of the people.

Before I close, I must say one more thing: If UND must lose its nickname, then so should major sports teams. Get rid of the Washington Redskins, Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves and Kansas City Chiefs, all of which do nothing on behalf of Native people, and I find their usage of such names and logos to be very demeaning, disgraceful and offensive.

I've never seen or heard of a pro football team, player or franchise ever make an effort to bring social programs out to a reservation. They don't bring their United Way onto our lands; yet, they do make it a point to show that they are actively involved with inner city youth.

At least UND is making an effort to bring pride to a people who have been viewed throughout history as being less than human.

I hope to live long enough to see the day when we stop all this petty bickering about things that never should be brought up. There comes a time in our lives when we all need to move past all of this and become one race . . . the human race.

Black Cloud is a Spirit Lake Dakota tribal member.
>

1 comment:

  1. tribal council

    A bunch of power hungry Chiefs making the rules for the Indians. Sometimes that doesn't work. I still believe they should change their name back to the Flickertails.

    ReplyDelete